View Single Post
Old 04-29-2013, 07:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Undercount of 6.7%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Charlie View Post
It makes sense: the more you deviate, the more slop there is to correct for. Do the best math that you can going forward, and next time you have a long trip, stop at a mile marker, zero out an odometer, fire up the GPS and go as far as you can to get the longest sample you can.

Then stay with that math until you change hardware again.
Had to go to a meeting in a nearby city and so I got a chance to do more runs of somewhat greater length today. On a 20.9 mile route plotted using ridewithgps.com I recorded 19.5 miles on the car's ODO and very close to 20.9 on my Ultra Gauge, which is calibrated at 1.055. The miles on the stock ODO were 0.933:1 against the ridewithgps route. I had a 26.6 mile return route planned, but messed up data recording so I have no data.

I know that both the 1993 and the 1998 transmissions have the same speedo gear inside and I know that the vehicle speed sensors on each spin at almost exactly the same rate at 60mph (1026 rpms in 1993 and 1025 rpms in 1998), according to the FSM for each model. I am running factory 14" wheels. All I have to account for the difference is two things: honda built the d-series transmissions with 13" wheels in mind in 1992 and then there are my non-OEM tires. The combinations seems to mean an undercount by about 5% or more. And I have had these tires on the car since probably 2007. Yikes! I'll do more calculations across longer distances when opportunity arises.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Last edited by California98Civic; 04-29-2013 at 09:28 PM..