View Single Post
Old 05-07-2013, 03:39 PM   #22 (permalink)
divedaddy03
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMichler View Post
AB testing has terrible potential for errors. See my sig line for summer and winter average mileage in my truck, and this thread for where those numbers came from: http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...yon-17070.html

I regularly make a 60 mile trip. My MPG for that particular trip ranges from 30 to over 42, depending on wind and temperature. I can get even lower mileage in a good snowstorm.

Look at my fuel log. You can easily see the seasonal variation and the tank to tank variation. For example, yesterday's fill was lower than normal for the range of temperatures because most of the miles (almost 90%) were against a headwind, while the previous fill had slightly warmer temperatures and no wind.

Yesterday's fill: Average temperature about 40 degrees and 31.6 MPG.
Previous fill: Average temperature about 65 degrees and 35.2 MPG.

A Scangauge or Ultragauge is useful for short tests on a straight stretch of road where you can test a change ABABAB several times before the temperature and wind change. Tank averages tell what happens in the real world, but it is difficult to control the variables well enough to truly measure the results of a change. I discuss this somewhat in my mod thread linked above.

Don't give up and please keep us updated.
JR, Thank You for your vote of confidence and adding some connotation to the statements that are being presented. As I said and will continue to say, I'm not a mechanic and certainly am no expert but I do want to learn and do things the proper way. I see what you are saying here and I think that I can really see the value of an ABABABA test or set of tests with different variable introduced. That said, if you average the last 30 tank fills with the next 30 tank fills and the second average is 15 MPG's better than the first average....that's not deniable. It may not be 100% accurate but when averaged together the variables certainly would not be that far off...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000mc View Post
2005 Throttle Body Ford Taurus 3.0L,OHV,SE $25 L and L Auto Parts, Inc. USA-NC(Grover) 1-704-487-7401 / 1-800-289-5474

Found with car-part
Thank You for pointing this out. I decided that I'm not going to do any modding to the throttle body until I get another one and can do a more regulated set of tests. I want to do this in a way that will give us all direct answers and will help us to determine if this Gadgetman thing is a fluke or if it's for real. I will not be able to spend money on testing equipment until next month at the soonest, may even be in July before I can do so. I should be able to get the throttle body next month however.

Thank You all for your help and kind words...I will not give up!

Your mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.