View Single Post
Old 05-23-2013, 07:19 PM   #43 (permalink)
jeff88
Lots of Questions

Motor-Rolla - '01 Toyota Corolla LE
Team Toyota
90 day: 28.3 mpg (US)

Gaia - '99 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Highlander
90 day: 19.78 mpg (US)

Gaia - Round 2 - '99 Toyota 4runner SR5 Highlander
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Occasionally6 View Post
This what I have used. Items in brackets I could have omitted. The exact parts list will depend upon how you want to arrange the parts.

Gduino Parts List

Essential

Arduino
Hitachi HD 44780 compatible display module
+/-1.5g 3-axis analog output accelerometer board

Other parts

16 wire ribbon cable
prototype shield board
(2 x 100nF capacitors)
(PCB mounted momentary tactile switch)
(LED)
(1k 1/2W resistor)
4 core twisted pair, solid core telephone cable (With the outer insulation stripped off this gives 8 color insulated solid core wires for the circuit board connections.)
(6.0mm (1/4" ) heatshrink)
14 pin Oupiin circuit baord to ribbon cable connector
2 of (8 x 1) pin and 2 of (6 x 1) pin header pins

Consumables

resin cored solder
(solder wick/braid)

Non-Consumables

USB a - USB b cable

Tools

Soldering iron
(DMM)
Wet sponge or cloth (to clean the soldering iron)
blade (craft knife or box cutter)
wire cutter
wire stripper
(tweezers)

I have a quick and dirty sketch running that displays the x, y and z g readings in g. The $100 (actually just under $90) pendulum is up and running.
Do I need to have a ribbon cable, or can I just use telephone wire/CAT5? I feel like that would be more versatile for this application.
What are the capacitors for?
What's the PCB switch for, the switch in picture 4 that turns each segment on/off?
What does the LED do? Just a signal that the board is on?

What kind of solder should I use (I assume solder for copper pipes is different )? I have another project that I have to solder some wires to some solar modules, so if there is a solder I can use for both that would be beneficial (e.g. cheaper).
Is the solder wick/braid for when I make a mistake? (which will inevitably happen )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Occasionally6 View Post
Some pics and a sketch.

The breadboard is something I was playing with a while ago. That is what you will need to do to use a 7-segment display (although neater and arranged to fit on a shield). The 4511 is in the middle. The row of switches are doing what the Arduino will do.

The d and e segments are dimmer because their two current limiting resistors - with the red felt tip pen on the leads - are 1.5k Ohms while the others are (I think - I can't recall exactly and I can't be bothered looking at the colors) 150 Ohms. The blue 7-segment is eye searing (to me at least) using the max. current that it can use, hence trying the higher value resistors.
So I need a breadboard/open shield between the Arduino and display? I can't wire them directly, with components in-line? If I use the 4511, I guess I will need the shield to mount it on, right? What do you mean the switches are doing what the Arduino will do? Turning each segment on and off? So it is a manual number at this point, just to test the circuit? That blue LCD is exactly what I want, just 2 digit. I do like the idea of having a higher level resistor to limit the brightness.

Are these pics on Photobucket or similar, so I can see them larger?

Best EM Quotes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
It has been said, that if you peel the duct tape back on Earth's equator, you'll find that the two hemispheres are held together with J B Weld.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan9 View Post
subscribed with a soda.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
If you're burning,and someone throws gasoline on you,there will be a localized cooling effect, but you're still on fire.