View Single Post
Old 05-31-2013, 02:05 PM   #22 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Holes or spindles to clear the axle end. By 'catch the light' I meant glister in a becoming way. Bling.

Convex for rigidity. The frontal area is minimal and exists in a region that has problematic airflow anyway. I'm for major Minority-Report style bubbles.

"The look" being completely flat, or having that pizza pan lip?

I'm not clear on whether you have pans or separators. And how the edge is finished.

I don't know about creaking hubcaps. For years I've run mag wheels or stock VW logoed/logoless (like baby moons) VW hubcaps; not full disks. If disks are pinned along the edge (3 screws is sufficient) how can they creak?

You could center the disks (that you don't want to return) in the rim and they could be fastened similar to this way. Use stand-offs to leave 1/4-1/2" gap all around so air can circulate to the brakes. A new look.

You can actually do a lot with tire sidewall contour. Other than selection about the only control you have is rim width. And that has to balance with turn-in and possibly other effects.
Well, when I first found hubcaps, they were fake chrome, which cost extra. Real chrome definitely looks better, but still, I do not even like the term "bling," let alone the pursuit thereof.

These wheels?

I do not remember that car, just this one, which has conventional rims:

I found some pizza pans on walmart.com and it says "electrolytic tin plated steel." I think that they look cheap and they are prone to rusting. I do not care about them being flat, what I bought is flatter still!

I have separators and the edge is just cut. I imagine that I would want to round that. I also wonder about using dissimilar metals.

I have pictures, but I am not planning on posting them until Monday. I had a test this morning and I really needed to study for it. I do not understand, it is like I am trying to find anything to do but schoolwork, when it is the most important.

Having wheel covers smaller than the wheels themselves may indeed be a new look, but I do not like it.

I did not understand much of how those moon disks were attached, the guy had tools that I doubt that I would purchase, except for the ones that he made himself. I really liked the finished product, though.

I think that part of the problem is that I have only seen Dzus' fasteners mentioned a few times here and I had not heard of Cleco fasteners.

As for creaking, I wonder if it is because the cover flexes differently than the wheel. I do not know if that would apply equally to tapped-in eyes or clipped ones.

What if I made my own fiberglass hubcaps? I could mold the outer area on 16" dividers and then copy my bolt area, properly receded so the outer edges are flush, but the lugnuts correctly pass through?

Last edited by Xist; 02-23-2016 at 10:27 PM.. Reason: spelling