Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2013, 03:54 AM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
Holes or spindles to clear the axle end. By 'catch the light' I meant glister in a becoming way. Bling.

Convex for rigidity. The frontal area is minimal and exists in a region that has problematic airflow anyway. I'm for major Minority-Report style bubbles.
Quote:
Somehow I do not like the look that is "all the rage" on here. I wonder if having straight edges would be good or bad.
"The look" being completely flat, or having that pizza pan lip?

I'm not clear on whether you have pans or separators. And how the edge is finished.

I don't know about creaking hubcaps. For years I've run mag wheels or stock VW logoed/logoless (like baby moons) VW hubcaps; not full disks. If disks are pinned along the edge (3 screws is sufficient) how can they creak?

You could center the disks (that you don't want to return) in the rim and they could be fastened similar to this way. Use stand-offs to leave 1/4-1/2" gap all around so air can circulate to the brakes. A new look.

You can actually do a lot with tire sidewall contour. Other than selection about the only control you have is rim width. And that has to balance with turn-in and possibly other effects.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-31-2013, 02:05 PM   #22 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Holes or spindles to clear the axle end. By 'catch the light' I meant glister in a becoming way. Bling.

Convex for rigidity. The frontal area is minimal and exists in a region that has problematic airflow anyway. I'm for major Minority-Report style bubbles.

"The look" being completely flat, or having that pizza pan lip?

I'm not clear on whether you have pans or separators. And how the edge is finished.

I don't know about creaking hubcaps. For years I've run mag wheels or stock VW logoed/logoless (like baby moons) VW hubcaps; not full disks. If disks are pinned along the edge (3 screws is sufficient) how can they creak?

You could center the disks (that you don't want to return) in the rim and they could be fastened similar to this way. Use stand-offs to leave 1/4-1/2" gap all around so air can circulate to the brakes. A new look.

You can actually do a lot with tire sidewall contour. Other than selection about the only control you have is rim width. And that has to balance with turn-in and possibly other effects.
Well, when I first found hubcaps, they were fake chrome, which cost extra. Real chrome definitely looks better, but still, I do not even like the term "bling," let alone the pursuit thereof.

These wheels?

I do not remember that car, just this one, which has conventional rims:

I found some pizza pans on walmart.com and it says "electrolytic tin plated steel." I think that they look cheap and they are prone to rusting. I do not care about them being flat, what I bought is flatter still!

I have separators and the edge is just cut. I imagine that I would want to round that. I also wonder about using dissimilar metals.

I have pictures, but I am not planning on posting them until Monday. I had a test this morning and I really needed to study for it. I do not understand, it is like I am trying to find anything to do but schoolwork, when it is the most important.

Having wheel covers smaller than the wheels themselves may indeed be a new look, but I do not like it.

I did not understand much of how those moon disks were attached, the guy had tools that I doubt that I would purchase, except for the ones that he made himself. I really liked the finished product, though.

I think that part of the problem is that I have only seen Dzus' fasteners mentioned a few times here and I had not heard of Cleco fasteners.

As for creaking, I wonder if it is because the cover flexes differently than the wheel. I do not know if that would apply equally to tapped-in eyes or clipped ones.

What if I made my own fiberglass hubcaps? I could mold the outer area on 16" dividers and then copy my bolt area, properly receded so the outer edges are flush, but the lugnuts correctly pass through?

Last edited by Xist; 02-23-2016 at 10:27 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 05-31-2013, 02:46 PM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I guess I was thinking of I, Robot. And it's more like 4-wheel skirts with reversed-out hubcaps.
Quote:
I have pictures, but I am not planning on posting them until Monday. I had a test this morning and I really needed to study for it. I do not understand, it is like I am trying to find anything to do but schoolwork, when it is the most important.
When I was in college I'd look at my last quarter's GPA. If it was above the all school average I'd work more (pizza chef/deliveries) and study less. If it fell below the all school average I'd study more and work less. I was an average student.

Today, I'm out of town for the weekend, visiting family and the NW Bug-Run.

Quote:
What if I made my own fiberglass hubcaps?
Use a water tank or a big satellite dish for a form, and use carbon fiber.

And as for the jig in that Street Rodder article, one could jury-rig that, or use a big lathe for indexing if one have access to...one.

Last edited by freebeard; 05-31-2013 at 02:53 PM..
Old 05-31-2013, 04:14 PM   #24 (permalink)
Not Doug

Quote:

I guess I was thinking of I, Robot. And it's more like 4-wheel skirts with reversed-out hubcaps.

When I was in college I'd look at my last quarter's GPA. If it was above the all school average I'd work more (pizza chef/deliveries) and study less. If it fell below the all school average I'd study more and work less. I was an average student.

Today, I'm out of town for the weekend, visiting family and the NW Bug-Run.

And as for the jig in that Street Rodder article, one could jury-rig that, or use a big lathe for indexing if one have access to...one.
Ah, yes, I never watched that because I read... a book...

The lowest GPA requirement that I saw for a graduate program was something like 3.12 and last semester I had a 2.58. My cumulative is 2.94, but that is now 143 credits. I really wish that my mistakes on my first Bachelor's did not carry over to this one, but last term's GPA was worse than I had averaged, although I honestly think that it was the first time that I did not drop at least one class. I do not remember where had the lowest standard, but if I cannot get into grad school, I am seriously considering transferring to another school, getting the same degree from a different school, and hoping to find better dating opportunities.

Except that I would be thirty-five and most girls (the program is 90% female) are right out of high school.

Why is it so important to you that my wheels be convex?!

The satellite dish is an interesting idea. I just think that they would be simpler and lighter if they were flat, but I might be able to sell them with a negligible profit if they were moon disks.

Last edited by Xist; 06-09-2013 at 11:01 AM.. Reason: I wrote that my cumulative GPA was 3.94. It is 2.94!
Old 05-31-2013, 04:48 PM   #25 (permalink)
Eco Sol

Quote:
I would like to see that thing in a wind tunnel. I wonder what the drag coefficient is on it.

Best Tank = 42.72 mpg (in the 94 Del Sol)

CR-Z Current Mods:
Max Sidewall PSI
Old 05-31-2013, 06:33 PM   #26 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Why is it so important to you that my wheels be convex?!
Here's the trick: it isn't. I'm just giving you a plausible reason to not do your homework.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:15 PM   #27 (permalink)
Not Doug

Quote:
Here's the trick: it isn't. I'm just giving you a plausible reason to not do your homework.
Please define plausibility and how it applies.

Well, if it is not important to you, then I guess that it does not matter. While I was under the impression that it was, I figured that if you helped me figure out how to do it, I might as well do it how you suggest.

How much does it cost to work with carbon fiber? I liked the trays because they were cheap. They are only supposed to increase my mileage marginally.
Old 06-01-2013, 02:11 AM   #28 (permalink)
Eco Sol

Quote:
That's pretty much what I'm about to try. Going to use a piece of cardboard that came in a Wal-Mart refrigerated pizza box which happens to be the perfect size for my rims and lay some fiberglass resin over it to create a mold. Then I'm going to fiberglass 4 identical disks with it. Not as cool as carbon fiber, but it's cheaper, very light, on hand and it's still plenty strong.

CR-Z Current Mods:
Max Sidewall PSI
Old 06-01-2013, 03:14 AM   #29 (permalink)
Not Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortie771 View Post
That's pretty much what I'm about to try. Going to use a piece of cardboard that came in a Wal-Mart refrigerated pizza box which happens to be the perfect size for my rims and lay some fiberglass resin over it to create a mold. Then I'm going to fiberglass 4 identical disks with it. Not as cool as carbon fiber, but it's cheaper, very light, on hand and it's still plenty strong.
How do you plan on attaching them?
Old 06-01-2013, 12:07 PM   #30 (permalink)
Eco Sol

I haven't decided on that yet. I think I'm going to try using 3 screws on the center cap. If that fails I will have to try something else.

CR-Z Current Mods:
Max Sidewall PSI
Reply  Post New Thread