View Single Post
Old 07-02-2013, 05:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
jeff88
Lots of Questions

Motor-Rolla - '01 Toyota Corolla LE
Team Toyota
90 day: 28.3 mpg (US)

Gaia - '99 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Highlander
90 day: 19.78 mpg (US)

Gaia - Round 2 - '99 Toyota 4runner SR5 Highlander
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyLugNut View Post
Are you speaking of measured cleanliness at the tailpipe? Or are you referring to "well to wheels" cleanliness?
My original intention in this thought bubble was for tailpipe measurements, but "well to wheels" is certainly a very important figure as well, which I did not originally think about. Maybe an answer to both would be beneficial (if the answer would be different for both scenarios).

Quote:
If you are referring to the CO2 output per mile, it is hard to beat a diesel, all things being equal, for grams of CO2 per mile. If your bio - diesel is sourced from a low fossil fuel expended source, even better.
I was referring to all emissions, not just limited to CO2. Meaning sulfer dioxide, methane, particulates, etc. I wonder if bio-diesel pollutes those pollutants more or less than dino-diesel. I wonder if organic bio-diesel would be the best (cleanest) well-to-wheels fuel.

Quote:
Waste vegetable oil in an older diesel application is about as low as you can go with this line of thinking of reducing CO2 emissions per mile.
MMMMMMMMM. french fries!

Quote:
Hydrogen is a clean fuel, if you can overlook the problems in production, storage and transport.
I wonder if there is an efficient and clean way to "produce" hydrogen, like electrolysis. The issue with that though is the question of the efficiency of using energy to create the electrolysis vs. using that same energy to "fuel" a vehicle directly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
You are joking right?
Is this in reference to current hydrogen production using natural gas as the source for H?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
I once read that water vapor is a greenhouse gas.
Yes sir! We talk about that in my Environmental Studies classes. We just don't generally refer to it as a GHG, because we don't see water vapor as "bad". But in essence, no matter what it is, if it is "up there", it will cause a greenhouse effect (to what degree and how unhealthy it is to our environment and our breathing is the deciding factor). Of course, water vapor can be considered bad if it mixes with molecules like sulfur dioxide, which creates acid rain.

Thanks for the replies guys!
-----------------------------------
Found this article, pretty interesting: Clean Energy

Best EM Quotes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
It has been said, that if you peel the duct tape back on Earth's equator, you'll find that the two hemispheres are held together with J B Weld.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan9 View Post
subscribed with a soda.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
If you're burning,and someone throws gasoline on you,there will be a localized cooling effect, but you're still on fire.