Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2013, 01:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lots of Questions

Motor-Rolla - '01 Toyota Corolla LE
Team Toyota
90 day: 28.3 mpg (US)

Gaia - '99 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Highlander
90 day: 19.78 mpg (US)

Gaia - Round 2 - '99 Toyota 4runner SR5 Highlander
90 day: 17.23 mpg (US)
Best Ratio of Potential Chemical Energy vs. Cleanliness of Burn

Just wondering what would be the best ratio would be. Diesel has a high energy content but is very dirty. Gas/petrol is lower energy content, but cleaner. Is there any other fuel that would have a better ratio (maybe alcohol, natural gas, propane, bio-fuel, etc.)? I know bio-fuel is essentially zero carbon footprint, but leaving out the whole growing it first takes out CO2 thing...

Best EM Quotes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
It has been said, that if you peel the duct tape back on Earth's equator, you'll find that the two hemispheres are held together with J B Weld.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan9 View Post
subscribed with a soda.
Quote:
If you're burning,and someone throws gasoline on you,there will be a localized cooling effect, but you're still on fire.
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-30-2013, 01:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,522 Times in 2,796 Posts
Diesel has the highest energy content of any affordable commonly avaible fuel.
Its only dirty if you when you burn it at lower air fuel ratios.
Gasoline does the same thing in lower A/F ratios.

If you were to fumigate the intake of the diesel with natural gas or methanol, replacing diesel fuel energy with natural gas or alcohol it would run much cleaner.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

You need to define this "ratio" more fully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff88 View Post
Just wondering what would be the best ratio would be. Diesel has a high energy content but is very dirty. Gas/petrol is lower energy content, but cleaner. Is there any other fuel that would have a better ratio (maybe alcohol, natural gas, propane, bio-fuel, etc.)? I know bio-fuel is essentially zero carbon footprint, but leaving out the whole growing it first takes out CO2 thing...
ANY of the common fuels available can be burned cleanly enough to meet Tier II - bin 5 levels. Are you speaking of measured cleanliness at the tailpipe? Or are you referring to "well to wheels" cleanliness?

If you are referring to the CO2 output per mile, it is hard to beat a diesel, all things being equal, for grams of CO2 per mile. If your bio - diesel is sourced from a low fossil fuel expended source, even better.

Waste vegetable oil in an older diesel application is about as low as you can go with this line of thinking of reducing CO2 emissions per mile.
The Following User Says Thank You to RustyLugNut For This Useful Post:
UFO (07-02-2013)
Old 07-01-2013, 06:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

Edison2 used E-85 in their Xprize car because they could/(were able to) burn it cleaner. They could have used gas or diesel and gotten the same phenomenal "MPGE," but as it stood with E85, their emissions were less than all the super aero electric cars charging from the grid.

But maybe there are other fuels like Hydrogen that pollute less or not all because of their chemical make up?
Old 07-02-2013, 12:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Xprize did away with the emissions test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog 44 View Post
Edison2 used E-85 in their Xprize car because they could/(were able to) burn it cleaner. They could have used gas or diesel and gotten the same phenomenal "MPGE," but as it stood with E85, their emissions were less than all the super aero electric cars charging from the grid.

But maybe there are other fuels like Hydrogen that pollute less or not all because of their chemical make up?
At least with the original idea of running an FTP-75 cycle. In the end, it was a simple calculated grams per mile of CO2. By leveraging the bio-content of E85, Edison could show a "clean engine path". Meaning, they probably could pass the FTP-75 with a bit of work. They also could leverage the high octane of E85 to increase specific power and efficiency.

With the efforts to produce ethanol from cellulose sources, E85 could become a much more viable option. Thus, Edison could make the case for a fueling infrastructure.

Hydrogen is a clean fuel, if you can overlook the problems in production, storage and transport.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

SUV

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai

SUV
Quote:
You are joking right?
Old 07-02-2013, 03:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Quote:
I once read that water vapor is a greenhouse gas.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lots of Questions

Team Toyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyLugNut View Post
Are you speaking of measured cleanliness at the tailpipe? Or are you referring to "well to wheels" cleanliness?
My original intention in this thought bubble was for tailpipe measurements, but "well to wheels" is certainly a very important figure as well, which I did not originally think about. Maybe an answer to both would be beneficial (if the answer would be different for both scenarios).

Quote:
If you are referring to the CO2 output per mile, it is hard to beat a diesel, all things being equal, for grams of CO2 per mile. If your bio - diesel is sourced from a low fossil fuel expended source, even better.
I was referring to all emissions, not just limited to CO2. Meaning sulfer dioxide, methane, particulates, etc. I wonder if bio-diesel pollutes those pollutants more or less than dino-diesel. I wonder if organic bio-diesel would be the best (cleanest) well-to-wheels fuel.

Quote:
Waste vegetable oil in an older diesel application is about as low as you can go with this line of thinking of reducing CO2 emissions per mile.
MMMMMMMMM. french fries!

Quote:
Hydrogen is a clean fuel, if you can overlook the problems in production, storage and transport.
I wonder if there is an efficient and clean way to "produce" hydrogen, like electrolysis. The issue with that though is the question of the efficiency of using energy to create the electrolysis vs. using that same energy to "fuel" a vehicle directly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
You are joking right?
Is this in reference to current hydrogen production using natural gas as the source for H?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
I once read that water vapor is a greenhouse gas.
Yes sir! We talk about that in my Environmental Studies classes. We just don't generally refer to it as a GHG, because we don't see water vapor as "bad". But in essence, no matter what it is, if it is "up there", it will cause a greenhouse effect (to what degree and how unhealthy it is to our environment and our breathing is the deciding factor). Of course, water vapor can be considered bad if it mixes with molecules like sulfur dioxide, which creates acid rain.

Thanks for the replies guys!
-----------------------------------
Found this article, pretty interesting: Clean Energy

Best EM Quotes:
Quote:
It has been said, that if you peel the duct tape back on Earth's equator, you'll find that the two hemispheres are held together with J B Weld.
Quote:
subscribed with a soda.
Quote:
If you're burning,and someone throws gasoline on you,there will be a localized cooling effect, but you're still on fire.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:26 AM   #9 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

SUV

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai

SUV
Bio diesel burns much cleaner in my diesel and I have only used B20.
But I can't really use it during the winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff88 View Post
Is this in reference to current hydrogen production using natural gas as the source for H?
Yes current and likely sources for the forseeable future.
Which will be natural gas, natural gas and coal at some point several decades down the road.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:16 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lots of Questions

Team Toyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
Bio diesel burns much cleaner in my diesel and I have only used B20.
But I can't really use it during the winter.
At the risk of sounding argumentative, how do you know bio-diesel burns cleaner? Have you tested it at a smog check or something? Why can't you use it during the winter? Is it because of crystal formation/solidification?

Best EM Quotes:
Quote:
Quote:
subscribed with a soda.
Quote:
Reply  Post New Thread