View Single Post
Old 07-23-2013, 10:25 AM   #21 (permalink)
elhigh
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 40.02 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 49.62 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB3 View Post
<snip>One thing id like to try and rig up long term is a ladder rack that either folds out, or is in some way aero. <snip> If I can build something that can duplicate it but fold down behind some kind of wind fairing, that would be the best of both worlds for me
Why create when you can contrapt? I mean, you're driving a minivan based on a pickup optimized for economy powered by a diesel which was never offered in the vehicle, provided by a manufacturer never associated with the vehicle, and considering adding a turbo that the engine never had before. When you're going over the edge, make it a swan dive. Go over with style.

I think a couple of manufacturers offer ladder racks that fold down - maybe. But even if they don't I don't see a reason why you couldn't fab a low profile one. You're obviously not afraid of your tools or of making changes to your vehicle. It won't be completely clean but you wouldn't have to assemble it when you needed it either, just pop a pin out, unfold, and pop the pin back in. Bob's your mother's brother and up goes the ladder. Add a little airfoil ramp ahead and behind the rack bits so that when folded it presents as clean a profile as possible.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.