Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2013, 09:44 AM   #11 (permalink)
JB3
EcoModding Lurker

Work Van - '89 Chevrolet Astro
90 day: 28.43 mpg (US)

240D - '83 mercedes 240D
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
PS: your Beetle in the background of the first picture?
next door neighbor is a VW restoration guy. Thats his 1974 beetle DD, has one of those autostick contraptions for a transmission, making it of little value I guess to VW heads.
crazy setup, a clutchless stick shift with an electrically actuated solenoid that operates a torque converter for an automatic 3 speed transmission

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-22-2013, 10:08 AM   #12 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
I have one of those- it's a head-scratcher for sure with all the disadvantages of manual and automatic transmissions combined into one super complex unit.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:04 PM   #13 (permalink)
Burn lean and prosper\\//

VLX - '93 Honda Civic VLX
Team Honda
90 day: 51.1 mpg (US)
Awesome project. Clean work. You should have no problem achieving 35. Check out diesel Dave on this site. He can get tanks up into the high 40s low 50s. Utilizing engine off coasting (EOC) good luck with it!!
Old 07-22-2013, 12:24 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 40.02 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Awesome

Hi, and welcome.

I see you now have stats under your username. I think MetroMPG may have helped you out, I think he's the site owner/mod.

I know the aero on an Astro isn't great, but there's plenty of room for improvement. You could add a bellypan underneath, skirt those rear wheels, add an airdam up front, etc.

Go look at Aerohead's assorted posts, the guy is an aerodynamics whiz. And for inspiration, read up on Basjoos, who takes aerodynamic optimization to its ludicrous ideal...ludicrous, but profitable.

Subbed, if I can figure out which button to push.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:10 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

White Whale - '07 Dodge Ram 2500 ST Quad Cab 2wd, short bed
Team Cummins
90 day: 37.68 mpg (US)
Very neat! I'll bet you get some interesting looks from folks who are like..."Um, why does that Astro van sound like a diesel?"

My version of energy storage is called "momentum".
My version of regenerative braking is called "bump starting".

1 Year Avg (Every Mile Traveled) = 47.8 mpg

BEST TANK: 2,009.6 mi on 35 gal (57.42 mpg): http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...5-a-26259.html

Old 07-23-2013, 01:50 AM   #16 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
Needless to say that I like this project, altough I'd rather use some Asian engine instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB3 View Post
next door neighbor is a VW restoration guy. Thats his 1974 beetle DD, has one of those autostick contraptions for a transmission, making it of little value I guess to VW heads.
crazy setup, a clutchless stick shift with an electrically actuated solenoid that operates a torque converter for an automatic 3 speed transmission
That transmission from Volkswagen was just a regular 3-speed non-synchronized manual, but had both a viscous torque converter and a dry clutch for the gear shifts. The clutch was only engaged when the driver touched the lever, with a photoelectric sensor like the one used in cars adapted to disabled drivers. There were also some versions which used the electric actuator similar to the one used in the cars fitted with the Saxomat automatic clutch, which had a centrifugal plate to keep the clutch depressed when idling and a vacuum-activated setup for the gear shifting, with an electric contact assembled at the shifter lever to release a vacuum solenoid.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:02 AM   #17 (permalink)
JB3
EcoModding Lurker

240D - '83 mercedes 240D
Quote:
Originally Posted by slownugly View Post
Awesome project. Clean work. You should have no problem achieving 35. Check out diesel Dave on this site. He can get tanks up into the high 40s low 50s. Utilizing engine off coasting (EOC) good luck with it!!
thanks for the tip! lots of amazing achievements on this forum, the engine off coasting is very interesting concept
Old 07-23-2013, 10:06 AM   #18 (permalink)
JB3
EcoModding Lurker

240D - '83 mercedes 240D
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhigh View Post
Hi, and welcome.

I see you now have stats under your username. I think MetroMPG may have helped you out, I think he's the site owner/mod.

I know the aero on an Astro isn't great, but there's plenty of room for improvement. You could add a bellypan underneath, skirt those rear wheels, add an airdam up front, etc.

Go look at Aerohead's assorted posts, the guy is an aerodynamics whiz. And for inspiration, read up on Basjoos, who takes aerodynamic optimization to its ludicrous ideal...ludicrous, but profitable.

Subbed, if I can figure out which button to push.
thanks! good ideas, definitely a belly pan, and rear wheel skirts will do nothing to the daily usability of the van, while maybe improving economy

One thing id like to try and rig up long term is a ladder rack that either folds out, or is in some way aero. i only occasionally need to carry a ladder, but the bulky and exceedingly useful heavy racks on most work vans kill economy. If I can build something that can duplicate it but fold down behind some kind of wind fairing, that would be the best of both worlds for me
Old 07-23-2013, 10:10 AM   #19 (permalink)
JB3
EcoModding Lurker

240D - '83 mercedes 240D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_Dave View Post
Very neat! I'll bet you get some interesting looks from folks who are like..."Um, why does that Astro van sound like a diesel?"
so far ive had one guy jump when I fired it next to him, then come back and say "diesel?" Most people just think I have a major engine problem though.

I took it to get exhaust welding done at a hot rod place, and the consensus was "why would you do that?"

its amazing how many people equate added HP with positive, and lowered HP with negative.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:19 AM   #20 (permalink)
JB3
EcoModding Lurker

240D - '83 mercedes 240D
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
Needless to say that I like this project, altough I'd rather use some Asian engine instead.

That transmission from Volkswagen was just a regular 3-speed non-synchronized manual, but had both a viscous torque converter and a dry clutch for the gear shifts. The clutch was only engaged when the driver touched the lever, with a photoelectric sensor like the one used in cars adapted to disabled drivers. There were also some versions which used the electric actuator similar to the one used in the cars fitted with the Saxomat automatic clutch, which had a centrifugal plate to keep the clutch depressed when idling and a vacuum-activated setup for the gear shifting, with an electric contact assembled at the shifter lever to release a vacuum solenoid.

Quote:
Frank Lee- I have one of those- it's a head-scratcher for sure with all the disadvantages of manual and automatic transmissions combined into one super complex unit.
I find it conceptually fascinating how they designed the transmission personally, thanks for this added description! Though it does seem to be a major piece of complexity. My neighbor has already rebuilt the think early this year, and its having problems again, requires constant attention.

Decided on the MB engine as I am very familiar with them, less so with asian plants, but there is a guy who put I believe a nissan 6cyl diesel and 5-speed in his astro as well. He reports excellent service.

Here is his thread on his build-
NissanDiesel :: View topic - Astro Van with LD28

and here is my build thread as well-
http://astrosafarivans.org/bb2/viewt...hp?f=72&t=8941

I would really love to compare the two eventually. His has been in service for years I believe, he's put a lot of miles on it

The Following User Says Thank You to JB3 For This Useful Post:
slowmover (07-23-2013)
Reply  Post New Thread