View Single Post
Old 07-25-2013, 09:46 PM   #41 (permalink)
Ecky
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,515 Times in 1,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbaber View Post
Did you spin the wheel before and after installation to see if there was any improvement that you could feel? I'm also skeptical of a spring that you can be bent with your fingers. The force needed to separate the brake pads is probably more than the spring can provide. I'm curious if cleaning and lubing the caliper would help the little spring out. Did the instructions mention anything about applying the springs to a brake caliper with 200k+ miles on it and how that brake dust buildup might effect the parts performance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
I think you have a better fit, most likely. Looking forward to your results.

A test suggestion: Since the improvement if there is one will be too small to measure in FE and since ABA is a bit too tough, how about before and after video of the wheel spinning up on jack stands. Get the wheel to 15 or 20 MPH, hold it, let it glide to a stop. Video the wheel. See if the clips help the wheel spin even half a second longer.

Just a thought.

-james

Good idea James, but I don't actually have a set of jack stands, just a beefy hydraulic jack and the crappy one that came with the car.

When I was putting the new brake pads on, I noticed that even pressing very lightly with one finger on the caliper greatly increased the resistance to spinning the wheel. Also, they are stronger than their appearance would suggest (definitely a lot more force than a bent paperclip would provide), though definitely less than I expected. I have no data yet, but if pressing lightly on the caliper has that effect, perhaps pushing outward lightly is all that's necessary.

@cbaber, I'm not sure if it's supposed to be this way but there's some resistance from the transmission when I attempt to spin the front wheels, so it's not easy to judge. When I do the rears it make be more telling. I'm still breaking in my brake pads anyway.