Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2013, 07:30 AM   #31 (permalink)
EcoModding Alien Observer

highcountryexplorer - '86 Nissan 720 KC 4x4 ST with fiberglass cap
90 day: 21.78 mpg (US)

Elroy - '03 Ford Focus ZX3 w/Zetec DOHC engine
90 day: 32.89 mpg (US)
There are at least 2 issues the clips will probably not overcome.....sticking calipers where corrosion in the piston area of the caliper can cause the pads to not retract....also the sliders can stick. You can use brake grease to lube the sliders after cleaning them. Check the boots over the pistons...if they are deteriorated...time for rebuilt calipers?

The other is a collapsed rubber flexline...these have a nylon (?) core that can overheat and melt closed...the application of the brakes overcomes the blockage...but the fluid cannot return to release the brakes. This can happen with a severely sticking caliper that produces a lot of heat.

If you think the brakes are loosening up some...might give it some time...might take time to overcome any corrosion in the piston or slider areas?

QUOTE=California98Civic;380701]Installed the clips. I did some low speed round-the-block testing. Maybe brake drag is reduced. I cannot tell for certain. Any improvement might be in the range of data noise? Or maybe that soft non-squealing metal on metal sandy -sound that I introduced is increasing drag. It's a very mild sound. But clearly one or two of the eight total possible contact points are in fact slightly skimming the rotors. Gotta go back in. Oh well.

They should fit. Before installing I searched the part number on the bag "H6001." Raybestos indicates that these clips fit the "1998 Honda Civic". And Amazon lists them as fitting my DX exactly, though they oddly also highlight the EX/Si (no mention of HX).

So they should fit. The error is mine, right? Any advice welcomed...

[EDIT: on a ten mile each way half freeway trip I noticed all sounds seem to go away at higher speeds. Maybe just drowned out by road noise. But after driving a higher speeds the sounds are gone even at lower speeds. Sometimes felt like a super quiet amazing coaster on rails (no brake friction noise. Still, will fine tune.][/QUOTE]

Forty-six percent of Americans believe in the creationist view that God created humans in their present form at one time within the last 10,000 years. GALLUP POLL
The Following User Says Thank You to suspectnumber961 For This Useful Post:
California98Civic (07-18-2013)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-22-2013, 07:27 PM   #32 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Friends, I have a set of Raybestos brake drag reduction clips that cost me $7 and that I cannot use or return. So they're free to a good home if anyone wants them... first PM with an address gets them in the mail, on me.

They won't fit the DX, regardless what Amazon says. They are for the Sixth Gen EX or Si.

james
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:43 PM   #33 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Lean and Mean - '98 Honda Civic HX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.69 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
Friends, I have a set of Raybestos brake drag reduction clips that cost me $7 and that I cannot use or return. So they're free to a good home if anyone wants them... first PM with an address gets them in the mail, on me.

They won't fit the DX, regardless what Amazon says. They are for the Sixth Gen EX or Si.

james
I have found you can't ever trust the "fit system" they have on ebay or amazon. These sites just don't have enough information specific to each trim to really tell you exact fitment. Did they not work at all? Are you going to try these, posted by xntrx? NAPA AUTO PARTS

This seems like a good idea if they actually function correctly. I am just skeptical since I have seen no real testing done so far (in this thread).

Old 07-24-2013, 01:24 AM   #34 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,553 Posts
Just put new rotors on my 'sol and came across this thread. I went by my local NAPA earlier and the guys there admitted to having read about them but said they hadn't received any and didn't know how to find them in their system.

California98Civic, did it not look possible to modify your clips to fit your calipers? What was the problem?
Old 07-24-2013, 09:13 AM   #35 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
Just put new rotors on my 'sol and came across this thread. I went by my local NAPA earlier and the guys there admitted to having read about them but said they hadn't received any and didn't know how to find them in their system.

California98Civic, did it not look possible to modify your clips to fit your calipers? What was the problem?
They scraped the rotors a little. On the outside edge. And on the inside of one of the rotors itself. The tolerances are very small, so I was not sure I would have been able to fit them properly. It was also just about time. I'm currently also patching my roof (DIY), fixing my gas furnace (DIY), and working on a belly pan. I just decided to take my lumps and reduce the project load. I might try the NAPA part that is supposed to fit better. But that'll be later in the season.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:49 AM   #36 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Used the post number from the linked item and had my Napa order a set for me, I'll report back when they're installed.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:02 PM   #37 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
I'll report back when they're installed.
That would be cool, of course. +1

Old 07-25-2013, 06:59 PM   #38 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Clips arrived at my NAPA overnight, came out to $10.00 after tax.

First impression - the spring rate on these is pretty low, they can be bent between two fingers. I'm skeptical - I'd have used a thicker wire to make the spring, one that provides a bit more force.

Although it looks like I could slip them on with the center pointing outward, the manual wanted them facing inward, under the caliper.

Removed the bolt opposite the brake line and swung the caliper up.

Spring-clip installed.

I've only done the fronts. This weekend I'll probably have a grand total of ~250 highway miles, I'll report back with my findings. If I don't notice an measurable improvement, I'll try fabricating my own out of some thicker material.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ecky For This Useful Post:
101Volts (06-10-2017), California98Civic (07-25-2013), Cd (08-30-2013), Piwoslaw (07-26-2013)
Old 07-25-2013, 07:47 PM   #39 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Lean and Mean - '98 Honda Civic HX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.69 mpg (US)
Quote:
Clips arrived at my NAPA overnight, came out to $10.00 after tax.

First impression - the spring rate on these is pretty low, they can be bent between two fingers. I'm skeptical - I'd have used a thicker wire to make the spring, one that provides a bit more force.

Although it looks like I could slip them on with the center pointing outward, the manual wanted them facing inward, under the caliper.

Removed the bolt opposite the brake line and swung the caliper up.

Spring-clip installed.

I've only done the fronts. This weekend I'll probably have a grand total of ~250 highway miles, I'll report back with my findings. If I don't notice an measurable improvement, I'll try fabricating my own out of some thicker material.
Did you spin the wheel before and after installation to see if there was any improvement that you could feel? I'm also skeptical of a spring that you can be bent with your fingers. The force needed to separate the brake pads is probably more than the spring can provide. I'm curious if cleaning and lubing the caliper would help the little spring out. Did the instructions mention anything about applying the springs to a brake caliper with 200k+ miles on it and how that brake dust buildup might effect the parts performance?

Old 07-25-2013, 08:31 PM   #40 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

These are identical in packaging and apparent shape and instructions to the set I received from Raybestos:

Quote:
But your brake assembly is significantly different in appearance:

Quote:
I think you have a better fit, most likely. Looking forward to your results.

A test suggestion: Since the improvement if there is one will be too small to measure in FE and since ABA is a bit too tough, how about before and after video of the wheel spinning up on jack stands. Get the wheel to 15 or 20 MPH, hold it, let it glide to a stop. Video the wheel. See if the clips help the wheel spin even half a second longer.

Just a thought.

-james

Reply  Post New Thread