View Single Post
Old 07-26-2013, 04:07 AM   #26 (permalink)
RustyLugNut
Master EcoModder

Frank Lee is right about market size and you have a very simplistic understanding . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCPlayland View Post
Frank Lee, with the amount of small economy trucks on the roads (gasoline) and the conversion of larger fleets converting to natural gas, and propane. I would guess there is enough demand for this to cover the expenses of certification. You even pointed out that there are other passenger diesel vehicles.

So the conversion costs are mute point due to that they already do this in other venues within the US boarders.

This is not what I came here to do is debate with you and be criticized for one letter off spelling.

I came here to talk with people that are currently doing swaps, conversions, and what "IS" offered in the US to battle the mpg fuel costs.

Not sure what I did to get your attention. But please look else where. As it seems you only want to play games with me.
... of EPA emissions rulings and guidelines.

People may say they would buy an economy diesel truck until they are faced with the several thousand extra it will cost them to do so. Then, the little economy truck doesn't look so economical.

Certification for retrofits is very costly. If the market is small, the cost per unit of conversion makes the exercise virtually impossible to sell. Diesels are considerably more polluting than CNG or propane and thus carry a much higher price tag.

Building diesel and hybrid options into larger payload offerings is always the wise market choice as the higher cost can be amortized into a business that uses the vehicle to make money versus the common person who just uses the average SUV as a people mover ( often only one person at a time).

And, one cannot compare the three differing emission levels of a passenger car, a light truck and a heavy Class 8 tractor. They have vastly different modes of operation and longevity and consequently, certification.

Correction and criticism are a big part of learning. Learn to deal with it or your education will be stunted.