View Single Post
Old 08-08-2013, 12:10 PM   #137 (permalink)
Sven7
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
Regardless of my state and local situation, you are saying that the group of vehicles determines the speed limit. Nobody has defined group for me yet- 2, 3, or ? many cars?- and does said group get to go as fast as they want i.e. 110 mph and if so what statute allows that and if not what statute or practice defines what the speed limit is since the roadside speed limit signs are clearly false and non-binding?
It's a de facto grey area in [lack of effective] traffic enforcement. A driving loophole, if you will. Can we just leave it at that?

Yes, driving quickly is technically illegal, and yes, people get in such a habit that they believe it to be the only way to drive. Sound familiar? This sort of thing happens nearly everywhere, in all aspects of life. People get set in their corner-cutting ways and forget that others prefer to do things properly.

This does not mean that this behavior is proper or legal; it only means that the speeders (in this example) percieve an inconvenience due to those who do not also adhere to their driving style. And, after all, perception drives most of our culture.

Last edited by Sven7; 08-08-2013 at 12:15 PM..