View Single Post
Old 09-05-2013, 11:08 PM   #31 (permalink)
Occasionally6
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post
I was kidding. Never mind...
Yeah, I know but you are correct anyway. Small changes in calorie intake add up. Sex can affect athletic performance.

Carb loading should be done a few hours before the exercise and be done with low GI carbs. It takes time for what you have consumed to be digested sufficiently to influence what is in your blood. The idea is to provide a steady supply of glucose to working muscles. It can improve performance if done right.

If you are running a full marathon (OK, you're not) you are going to start consuming your body tissue regardless of what you eat. Loading for that is different to doing so for a less demanding performance.

Coke isn't low GI (it's the opposite, unless Diet) but whatever works I guess. Maybe the caffeine helps?

There is a distinction to be made between training and performing. If you are trying to lose weight, you need some carbs (at least energy) to aid repair, but it's better to exercise without consuming them prior. You want to encourage the consumption of fat. Your body won't start to metabolise fat until the available blood glucose is consumed/low.

My understanding of the difference between minute oats and normal oats is that the minute oats are pre-cooked. That should make them easier to digest. That may or may nor be a good thing, depending on the goal.

It can be less expensive to make your own muesli, like for like product. There's no shame in using a pocket calculator to figure it out in store, although you do need the (a) basic recipe idea to do so. Larger size - like 2lb+ - bags of oats and dried fruit are usually (check the per pound price) cheaper than individual serves.

You can make it to suit your own taste. The dried fruit is expensive so food manufacturers use as little as possible. I like the stuff (it tastes sweet) so I add in a lot; apple, apricot, banana, pineapple, whatever is cheap to buy at the time.

It stores perfectly in a plastic container with a snap seal lid.

Before we get too focused on muesli etc.. I was only suggesting it as a better alternative to Slim Fast, not the be all and end all of a healthy diet.