Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2013, 11:08 PM   #31 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post
I was kidding. Never mind...
Yeah, I know but you are correct anyway. Small changes in calorie intake add up. Sex can affect athletic performance.

Carb loading should be done a few hours before the exercise and be done with low GI carbs. It takes time for what you have consumed to be digested sufficiently to influence what is in your blood. The idea is to provide a steady supply of glucose to working muscles. It can improve performance if done right.

If you are running a full marathon (OK, you're not) you are going to start consuming your body tissue regardless of what you eat. Loading for that is different to doing so for a less demanding performance.

Coke isn't low GI (it's the opposite, unless Diet) but whatever works I guess. Maybe the caffeine helps?

There is a distinction to be made between training and performing. If you are trying to lose weight, you need some carbs (at least energy) to aid repair, but it's better to exercise without consuming them prior. You want to encourage the consumption of fat. Your body won't start to metabolise fat until the available blood glucose is consumed/low.

My understanding of the difference between minute oats and normal oats is that the minute oats are pre-cooked. That should make them easier to digest. That may or may nor be a good thing, depending on the goal.

It can be less expensive to make your own muesli, like for like product. There's no shame in using a pocket calculator to figure it out in store, although you do need the (a) basic recipe idea to do so. Larger size - like 2lb+ - bags of oats and dried fruit are usually (check the per pound price) cheaper than individual serves.

You can make it to suit your own taste. The dried fruit is expensive so food manufacturers use as little as possible. I like the stuff (it tastes sweet) so I add in a lot; apple, apricot, banana, pineapple, whatever is cheap to buy at the time.

It stores perfectly in a plastic container with a snap seal lid.

Before we get too focused on muesli etc.. I was only suggesting it as a better alternative to Slim Fast, not the be all and end all of a healthy diet.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-06-2013, 10:31 AM   #32 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Occasionally6 View Post
Yeah, I know but you are correct anyway. Small changes in calorie intake add up. Sex can affect athletic performance.

Carb loading should be done a few hours before the exercise and be done with low GI carbs. It takes time for what you have consumed to be digested sufficiently to influence what is in your blood. The idea is to provide a steady supply of glucose to working muscles. It can improve performance if done right.

If you are running a full marathon (OK, you're not) you are going to start consuming your body tissue regardless of what you eat. Loading for that is different to doing so for a less demanding performance.

Coke isn't low GI (it's the opposite, unless Diet) but whatever works I guess. Maybe the caffeine helps?

There is a distinction to be made between training and performing. If you are trying to lose weight, you need some carbs (at least energy) to aid repair, but it's better to exercise without consuming them prior. You want to encourage the consumption of fat. Your body won't start to metabolise fat until the available blood glucose is consumed/low.

My understanding of the difference between minute oats and normal oats is that the minute oats are pre-cooked. That should make them easier to digest. That may or may nor be a good thing, depending on the goal.

It can be less expensive to make your own muesli, like for like product. There's no shame in using a pocket calculator to figure it out in store, although you do need the (a) basic recipe idea to do so. Larger size - like 2lb+ - bags of oats and dried fruit are usually (check the per pound price) cheaper than individual serves.

You can make it to suit your own taste. The dried fruit is expensive so food manufacturers use as little as possible. I like the stuff (it tastes sweet) so I add in a lot; apple, apricot, banana, pineapple, whatever is cheap to buy at the time.

It stores perfectly in a plastic container with a snap seal lid.

Before we get too focused on muesli etc.. I was only suggesting it as a better alternative to Slim Fast, not the be all and end all of a healthy diet.
I must have done something wrong! I do not feel nearly dead enough!

When I saw minute oats and normal ones side-by-side, the minute oats just seemed worn out, like the edges had been worn off. I do not have any idea if that was typical or what in the world it would mean.

When I bought the muesli, I still had not found all of the ingredients, but felt like I had already wasted too much time, and needed to get to bed.

A few weeks ago, someone mentioned a nutritionist who did not seem to be able to eat without someone claiming that her food was unhealthy, while the nutritionist felt that it was completely nutritious.

I really think that people arbitrarily form opinions because they want to have them and they defend them because they want to be right.

Ignorant people may claim that experts are idiots, while they inherently know the truth, because they say so.

Well, I finished my bag of muesli after three meals. That was a little over 100g of carbohydrates per meal and slightly over 20g of protein. Of course, carbohydrates are evil, protein is king, and fat is irrelevant.

Whatever.

It is funny, I went to bed really early, set my alarm for 0430, and made sure that it was "on" this time.

However, as I laid down, I thought that my phone was probably on vibrate. Dr. Who may claim:

I have a loft bed and I do not like climbing up and down the ladder. I woke up at 05, it was still dark, did my push-ups, and was out the door at 0530.

I was kind of upset, Google said that it was 90° outside!

It was too dark to really see my stopwatch, so I did not do my 30/60. Somehow, it did not feel too bad. I felt like I pushed myself, although I only came in at 19:37.

I know that I have run faster recently, but since I lost my log two weeks ago, that beats my best still-recorded time by almost one minute, and some of them by two.

I ran faster than on days when it was supposedly cooler.

The weirdest part was that when I completed two miles and slowed down, I did not feel like I was dying, and I still did not feel like I was dying when I completed the quarter mile.

I was not sweating as bad. I seemed to cool off in a reasonable period of time.

Yet I still want to go back to bed!

I need to report for drill at 0500 tomorrow. I honestly do not know if I will go running first, but if I do manage to wake up early enough to run before the sun comes up, I need to push myself harder!
Old 09-10-2013, 01:58 AM   #33 (permalink)
Not Doug

I missed a homework assignment on Thursday. On Friday, the professor wrote back that she would accept half credit the first time, but progressively less. As usual, I was constantly distracted, but I finished the assignment before going to bed.

I had drill Saturday and Sunday. When they released us on Saturday they told us that we would have a 100% diagnostic PT test on Sunday and I realized that I needed to replace my PT belt. I drove all over creation and got home at 2330.

No PT belt. No homework done. Five hours of sleep.

Good thing that we did not have a PT test, although since I was late, I had remedial PT.

Unfortunately, the only work that I had the entire day was a bit of cleaning before final formation. Soldiers with smart phones had fun. Two Sergeants brought their laptops. One did NCO stuff while the other watched television.

I heard that one Private did homework.

They prohibited us from going the Distant Learning Center, where I could have "accomplished something."

I am not doing this stuff on my own time!

When I was released, I wasted some time to relax, and then needed to stay up late to finish my homework. I woke up at 0830 and jogged in a light rain.

I did forty push-ups! Usually I stop after thirty-five! However, I only did one set.

Before the run, I weighed 211. Afterward, I weighed 207.6. My twenty-five pound weight weighs 25.6 pounds.

I was finally able to mail off my broken computer and replace the Costco fabric softener that was not detergent with actual laundry detergent.

I guess that I will stop stealing my roommate's Tide. I just wish that I knew where my bottle went!

I ate a Caesar salad for lunch. Criticize that!

I bought a watch with a heart rate monitor and then was late for class.

I keep oversleeping by thirty or sixty minutes. Then I feel grumpy and it takes me longer to start exercising.

I started using mapmyrun.com.

Last edited by Xist; 09-10-2013 at 08:54 PM.. Reason: Brevityx2
Old 09-10-2013, 10:49 AM   #34 (permalink)
Not Doug

Setting my alarm for seven hours seemed to work. I awoke at 0630 and was out the door before 0700.

So, my heart rate monitor does not work when I am sweating. It gave me a total of three readings. Since I needed to hold the sensor for five seconds, I only tried it every few blocks. Sometimes, it acted like it was working, then just beeped and showed the stopwatch. However, the second and third times that it worked, it showed something like 178 BPM, 93%.

This is going back to Walmart.

75°F, 80% humidity: 19:13.

I think that is my second-fastest time, ninety-one seconds from passing.

I am going to try to trim down my previous message.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:22 PM   #35 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Type less.
Train / study more.

Just a hint.
well, 3 actually.

Old 09-10-2013, 08:56 PM   #36 (permalink)
Not Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
Type less.
Do you have any idea how long that would take me?! Stream of consciousness, also known as logorrhea, is easy!
Old 09-19-2013, 09:08 AM   #37 (permalink)
Not Doug

I ran fast enough!
Old 09-19-2013, 10:57 AM   #38 (permalink)
EcoPlotting

Sliver - '12 Hyundai Elantra limited
Team Hyundai
90 day: 35.1 mpg (US)

t-ruck - '06 chevy Colorado Lt
90 day: 21.88 mpg (US)

Bob - '09 Harley Sportster Nightster
90 day: 38.88 mpg (US)

Pearl - '14 Toyota Prius C 3
90 day: 48.1 mpg (US)
p90x

I know it may seam cheesy but P90x works. I followed the videos and didn't vary my diet much and I lost 40 pounds in 4 months (210lbs to 170lbs). I could do so many more push ups and pull ups. It also made playing soccer on the weekends so much easier and I didn't even need to go running during the week. I felt faster and less fatigued. Another benefit was because I wasn't running all week to get into shape, by the time the weekend would roll around and it was time to hit the field my knees and ankles would already be recovered from the pounding they got from all the running I did the previous weekend.

I also feel like Omega 3's are definitely important for your bodies overall health. GNC makes a Fish oil supplement that doesn't make you burp fish flavor all day. It really helped with my knee pain and dry skin.
Old 09-19-2013, 01:31 PM   #39 (permalink)
Not Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by night9 View Post
I know it may seam cheesy but P90x works. I followed the videos and didn't vary my diet much and I lost 40 pounds in 4 months (210lbs to 170lbs). I could do so many more push ups and pull ups. It also made playing soccer on the weekends so much easier and I didn't even need to go running during the week. I felt faster and less fatigued. Another benefit was because I wasn't running all week to get into shape, by the time the weekend would roll around and it was time to hit the field my knees and ankles would already be recovered from the pounding they got from all the running I did the previous weekend.

I also feel like Omega 3's are definitely important for your bodies overall health. GNC makes a Fish oil supplement that doesn't make you burp fish flavor all day. It really helped with my knee pain and dry skin.
I mentioned Insanity before, I have done a little with my unit. The Army likes to punish Soldiers! I would imagine that P90x would also be good and I read good things about Crossfit, but it sounded complicated. Doing a different workout every day makes sense, but also seems very problematic.

I have been worried about my knees. Sometimes they hurt even when I am not exercising. In Germany, it seemed like they hurt when I ran slowly, which was almost every time that I ran in a group, while I would feel fine if I ran quickly.

They say that you put three times your body weight on your feet each time that you run a step. I would think that would depend. Soldiers told me that my situation made sense, because the slower that you ran, the more that your weight just went up and down on your knees, while the faster that you run, the more that it goes forward. I really do not know, but I have been running slowly, and had I not finally run sufficiently quickly this morning, I would have wanted to start running twice a day.

I am not very fond of burping and burping fish oil sounds even worse.

How tall are you? I am not entire sure that I want to be down to a hundred and seventy again.

I should be able to run faster, though, as well as do more push-ups and pull-ups.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:06 PM   #40 (permalink)
Not Doug

Our First Sergeant just sent out a workout schedule. I just saw that there was a workout for every day of the week and the first one was over a page, including partner-assisted exercises.

Quote:
This will help you with the APFT which is 23 days away.
Why didn't they put out a manageable schedule a month or two ago?

Reply  Post New Thread