View Single Post
Old 09-12-2013, 07:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
darcane

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJD View Post
Hey, guys. New guy here. Name's TJ, and I drive a '00 Silverado that gets 14/19 mpg and ends up costing between $60 and $100 per week to run as I typically drive about 360 miles on a weekly basis. I'm looking to sell the truck and get something more economical and dependable, and you guys really seem to know your stuff when it comes to that!

I've been researching for a little while now, reading these forum and whatnot, and I've narrowed it down to the '92-'00 Honda Civic (EX and Si not preferred) and the '02-'03 Jetta TDI. I'd go for the 5-speed manual transmission in either car as I've heard their respective automatics aren't as reliable. Plus... I love driving stick!

I know the Civic is probably less expensive to run than the Jetta, but trying to find a decent Civic around here is next to impossible. They've all been beaten to within an inch of death... especially the 5-speed ones. Subwoofers, tacky rims, window tint, Altezza taillights, engine swaps... they aren't pretty. The Jettas seem to be in better shape.

Does anyone have experience with either car that they could use to help me? I don't know if it'd be worth it to chance it with a used Civic, if I could find one, or pick up a TDI for $3-6,000. Any replies would be much appreciated!

-TJ
This is almost exactly me a couple years ago.

'03 Silverado Ext cab, long bed, V8 (see signature). Got my average up around 19mpg but it was still too pricey. Sold it to buy a Civic. No VW for me, since they have way too many quality issues.

Like you, I was sticking to the 2000 and older Civics (I enjoyed driving my old '94 EX coupe). No luck. Stumbled on a good deal on an '01 HX and bought it (again, see signature). 7th gen Civics get no love, some of it deserved (tranny problems), some not (struts, while not great, are mostly frowned on because they aren't the double wishbone that the older Civics had) so very few get modified. There are a bunch out there and are typically 100% stock. They may be a good option for you.

No matter what Civic you go for, maintenance history is important. Get proof of the last timing belt change or plan to change it yourself. Letting it fail is bad news...

2001 Civic HX Mods

CTS-V

2003 Silverado Mods