Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2013, 05:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
TJD
EcoModding Lurker

New Guy w/ Gas Guzzling Silverado (seeking advice on used Civic, Jetta TDI)

Hey, guys. New guy here. Name's TJ, and I drive a '00 Silverado that gets 14/19 mpg and ends up costing between $60 and $100 per week to run as I typically drive about 360 miles on a weekly basis. I'm looking to sell the truck and get something more economical and dependable, and you guys really seem to know your stuff when it comes to that!

I've been researching for a little while now, reading these forum and whatnot, and I've narrowed it down to the '92-'00 Honda Civic (EX and Si not preferred) and the '02-'03 Jetta TDI. I'd go for the 5-speed manual transmission in either car as I've heard their respective automatics aren't as reliable. Plus... I love driving stick!

I know the Civic is probably less expensive to run than the Jetta, but trying to find a decent Civic around here is next to impossible. They've all been beaten to within an inch of death... especially the 5-speed ones. Subwoofers, tacky rims, window tint, Altezza taillights, engine swaps... they aren't pretty. The Jettas seem to be in better shape.

Does anyone have experience with either car that they could use to help me? I don't know if it'd be worth it to chance it with a used Civic, if I could find one, or pick up a TDI for $3-6,000. Any replies would be much appreciated!

-TJ

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-12-2013, 07:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJD View Post
Hey, guys. New guy here. Name's TJ, and I drive a '00 Silverado that gets 14/19 mpg and ends up costing between $60 and $100 per week to run as I typically drive about 360 miles on a weekly basis. I'm looking to sell the truck and get something more economical and dependable, and you guys really seem to know your stuff when it comes to that!

I've been researching for a little while now, reading these forum and whatnot, and I've narrowed it down to the '92-'00 Honda Civic (EX and Si not preferred) and the '02-'03 Jetta TDI. I'd go for the 5-speed manual transmission in either car as I've heard their respective automatics aren't as reliable. Plus... I love driving stick!

I know the Civic is probably less expensive to run than the Jetta, but trying to find a decent Civic around here is next to impossible. They've all been beaten to within an inch of death... especially the 5-speed ones. Subwoofers, tacky rims, window tint, Altezza taillights, engine swaps... they aren't pretty. The Jettas seem to be in better shape.

Does anyone have experience with either car that they could use to help me? I don't know if it'd be worth it to chance it with a used Civic, if I could find one, or pick up a TDI for $3-6,000. Any replies would be much appreciated!

-TJ
This is almost exactly me a couple years ago.

'03 Silverado Ext cab, long bed, V8 (see signature). Got my average up around 19mpg but it was still too pricey. Sold it to buy a Civic. No VW for me, since they have way too many quality issues.

Like you, I was sticking to the 2000 and older Civics (I enjoyed driving my old '94 EX coupe). No luck. Stumbled on a good deal on an '01 HX and bought it (again, see signature). 7th gen Civics get no love, some of it deserved (tranny problems), some not (struts, while not great, are mostly frowned on because they aren't the double wishbone that the older Civics had) so very few get modified. There are a bunch out there and are typically 100% stock. They may be a good option for you.

No matter what Civic you go for, maintenance history is important. Get proof of the last timing belt change or plan to change it yourself. Letting it fail is bad news...

2001 Civic HX Mods

CTS-V

2003 Silverado Mods
Old 09-12-2013, 07:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
If you can find a Toyota Echo in your area it will be much newer, not have a timing belt, and be more reliable. Simple, light and very little maintenance.

regards
Mech
Old 09-12-2013, 08:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
TJD
EcoModding Lurker

Thank you both, darcane and Old Mechanic. I've heard a lot of bad things about VW's reliability or lack thereof, but I've also heard that the '02 and '03 TDI is the "12-valve Cummins" or "Chuck Norris" of the VW world. That's good to know about the Civic… the importance of the timing belt. It's things like that I don't know what to look for in either car. Any more buying tips would be great! Also, Mech, that's a good idea to include the Echo in my search… probably a lot easier to find. Newer Civics as well like you said, darcane. Any other makes and models I should for?

-TJ
Old 09-12-2013, 08:39 PM   #5 (permalink)

I think the late 90's Nissan Sentra is often overlooked. With the standard 1.6L and a manual, they were rated at nearly 40mpg and also have no timing chain. Just don't get the performance version with the 2.0L or the 2000+ (bigger, larger engines, worse mpgs).

It was on my list. I just couldn't pull the trigger on one since they are just so boring... And afflicted with an overabundance of doors. There is the 200SX, but they are uncommon.

2001 Civic HX Mods

CTS-V

2003 Silverado Mods
Old 09-12-2013, 09:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

When you get a used car, in my opinion it is best to get the simplest car you can find.
I had a 2001 Echo. It did not even have AC. Manual windows, manual steering, stick shift, just about the most basic transportation you could buy new in 2001.
Put 4 full sized adult males (180-220 pounds) in it and 4 sets of golf clubs in the trunk, drove to a tournament and got 47 MPG without even trying hard. Heck, a normal sized person can reach over and roll down the passengers window.

Some people don't like the instrument cluster in the middle of the dash. I loved it, check the gauges (what few there are) without taking my eyes off the road.

I like my Fiesta better, but you can't get one in your price range, and 20 year old Hondas are getting pretty trashed out at least around here.

regards
Mech
Old 09-12-2013, 10:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...cho-19053.html

Think 80+ MPG I know that is extreme, but when you talk about 90 bucks a week for gas, it's possible to do the same distance on $10-15. Add that money up for 30 years, get a decent return on that money and buy a house, versus pouring carbon and other crud into the atmosphere.

Even a redneck like me can appreciate that.

regards
Mech
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to user removed For This Useful Post:
a8ksh4 (09-12-2013), MetroMPG (09-19-2013)
Old 10-04-2013, 10:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mazda5 - '12 Mazda 5
90 day: 25.22 mpg (US)

Big D - '11 Dodge Durango Crew
90 day: 18.75 mpg (US)
I got a $1,000 Geo Metro to make a dent in my budget in January. I drove it for 6 months and got great mileage, but the wife didn't want to ride in it with the kids. Just remember the cheap cars with great MPG's might save you a lot of money, but will you be happy driving it? Will your significant other/friends/parents/etc want to ride in it? Are these reasons to not buy a car? Well, its up to you to decide.

I sold the Metro for $1,500 and bought a $6,000 2005 Civic sedan with a 5 spd. I zip around town and get 34 city and 40 hwy. It had 92,000 miles on it and was completely stock. I love it. The wife and kids ride in it every single day and don't complain about it, liked they did with the Metro.

As to your search, get on Craigslist and search cars by owner in your price range. Then, look up the mpg and see if it fits. Bottom line, most cars are going to get better MPG than your truck.

Reply  Post New Thread