View Single Post
Old 09-23-2013, 04:52 PM   #72 (permalink)
jedi_sol
Master EcoModder

2013 STi *SOLD* - '13 Subaru Impreza WRX STi
Subaru
Sports Cars
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 26.59 mpg (US)

1996 Geo Metro *RETIRED from Ecomodding* - '96 Geo Metro Base
90 day: 58.68 mpg (US)
Side Mirror Delete, Uppger grill block v. 3.1

Had a busy weekend working on the Sti. I removed the passenger side mirror. I want to keep the stock mounting hardware to keep it looking OEM (and to avoid spending hours making a block off plate).

How to - remove outside mirror
1) Mine came installed with a factory tweeter. Pull the tweeter towards the back of the car.

2) The tweeter housing (the side closer to the front of the car) will slightly pry open by itself, Then get your fingers behind the tweeter housing and gently pry the entire tweeter housing off.

3) there are 3 bolts to unscrew the mirror housing. The very topmost bolt is easy to access. However, the bottom 2 bolts require you to remove the door panel.

4) first remove the screw located in the door handle

5) then remove the screw in the armrest

6) Pry up the arm rest cover, they're held in by pressure clips so you just need a firm tug.

7) remove the remaining 2 screws that hold on the door panel

8) now you can go around the door panel and pop it off....then unscrew the remaining bottom bolts.

9) remove the mirror, there are 3 bols underneath (2 are covered by a foam sticky piece).

10) it turns out the plug does not fit into the hole to completely seperate the mirror housing with the mounting plate. Therefore, i decided to de-pin the connector (only 8 pins so its not bad). Use a tiny flathead and pry open the "pin lock" on both sides of the plug

11) use the same method i used for my kill switch to "de pin" the plug.
since these pins are a lot smaller, i used a safety pin to unlatch the pins.

12) now you can remove the mirror housing from the mounting plate. I am going to attach a small bubble mirror on the "lip" of the mounting plate eventually

Pictures!

See the rest of the Sti project log:
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...log-26612.html

Last edited by jedi_sol; 09-25-2013 at 03:40 PM..