Thread: Tesla Fires
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2013, 08:49 PM   #15 (permalink)
NachtRitter
NightKnight

RippinRoo - '05 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5 GT
Subaru
90 day: 21.16 mpg (US)

Helga - '00 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
Diesel
90 day: 53.91 mpg (US)

Olga - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon
90 day: 46.24 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post
Whilst I suspect Teslas (Tesli ?) don't catch fire any more than any other car, I haven't read about any Leafs, IMievs (or their PSA clones) catching fire.
I haven't either, and I've seen a few theories why:
- Teslas ride lower normally than Leafs (Leaves ?); there is also an option available that drops the ride height further at cruising speeds (no confirmation that any of the three toasted Teslas had that option)
- Drivers of Teslas are more aggressive than drivers of Leafs (drive faster, follow closer) (no confirmation this is valid, btw, but the fella in Mexico sure was driving his hard!)
- Leaf battery pack is further back whereas some of the Tesla's battery pack is up front (the Tesla's got more batteries, so they've got to find more places to put them) (don't know enough about debris strike patterns to say that this is valid, but it makes sense logically)

Another theory is that Big Oil (or maybe the Big Three?) is behind it all... finding Teslas and dropping crap on the road in front of them with the hope of generating negative news ... the guy in Mexico was just a "lucky occurrence"...

Last edited by NachtRitter; 11-12-2013 at 10:05 PM.. Reason: Added rolleyes