Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2013, 04:24 PM   #11 (permalink)
The PRC.

Or indeed that you both did so using a computer, also invented by a Mr Babbage who also invented the cow catcher.

Funny old world.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-08-2013, 04:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
NightKnight

RippinRoo - '05 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5 GT
Subaru
90 day: 21.16 mpg (US)

Helga - '00 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
Diesel
90 day: 53.91 mpg (US)

Olga - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon
90 day: 46.24 mpg (US)
Da interwebs be fulla mystirical coinkidinks.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:21 PM   #13 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
An ex of mine always spoke of a blog that posted the Ferrari 458 that caught fire each week (the cadence for a while), but I can not find it (either A it doesn't exist, or B I just can't find it), but here is a page I found while searching with a decent compilation of expensive matches.

The Jalopnik Guide To Burning Supercars

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
The Following User Says Thank You to UltArc For This Useful Post:
NachtRitter (11-08-2013)
Old 11-12-2013, 03:09 PM   #14 (permalink)
The PRC.

Whilst I suspect Teslas (Tesli ?) don't catch fire any more than any other car, I haven't read about any Leafs, IMievs (or their PSA clones) catching fire.

I have seen a "dead" Leaf at the side of a motorway the other week but I didn't stop so no idea if it was a flat (tyre or battery) or something broke.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:49 PM   #15 (permalink)
NightKnight

Subaru

TEAM VW AUDI Group
Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post
Whilst I suspect Teslas (Tesli ?) don't catch fire any more than any other car, I haven't read about any Leafs, IMievs (or their PSA clones) catching fire.
I haven't either, and I've seen a few theories why:
- Teslas ride lower normally than Leafs (Leaves ?); there is also an option available that drops the ride height further at cruising speeds (no confirmation that any of the three toasted Teslas had that option)
- Drivers of Teslas are more aggressive than drivers of Leafs (drive faster, follow closer) (no confirmation this is valid, btw, but the fella in Mexico sure was driving his hard!)
- Leaf battery pack is further back whereas some of the Tesla's battery pack is up front (the Tesla's got more batteries, so they've got to find more places to put them) (don't know enough about debris strike patterns to say that this is valid, but it makes sense logically)

Another theory is that Big Oil (or maybe the Big Three?) is behind it all... finding Teslas and dropping crap on the road in front of them with the hope of generating negative news ... the guy in Mexico was just a "lucky occurrence"...

Last edited by NachtRitter; 11-12-2013 at 10:05 PM.. Reason: Added rolleyes
Old 11-12-2013, 09:06 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Anyone who thinks the oil companies are intentionally sabotaging Teslas, in the day of video cameras, is really stretching their concept of reality, especially since the oil companies have very deep pockets.

While a couple of $100k cars having battery meltdowns and fires might be relegated to chance and circumstance, personally I would like to look under the suspect vehicle to see if the possibility of a piece of debris penetrating the battery pack and causing a catastrophic fire are actually there.

As far as the rationale of gasoline powered cars also catching on fire as justification for self immolating electric cars, I think that is also a weak rationalization.

If you want to see most drivers refuse to use any vehicle, just tell them their car could ignite and incenerate itself virtually anywhere. Assuming you have their trust, that car will not move until you can assure them that it is no longer a potential molotov cocktail.

The real trouble arises when the insurance companies decide they are assuming a greater risk of fire and potential legal consequences of those fires. When the rates explode, then you have a real problem, but that would be after a major recall.

regards
Mech
Old 11-12-2013, 10:05 PM   #17 (permalink)
NightKnight

Subaru

TEAM VW AUDI Group
Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
Anyone who thinks the oil companies are intentionally sabotaging Teslas, in the day of video cameras, is really stretching their concept of reality, especially since the oil companies have very deep pockets.
Ha ha... I wasn't putting that one out there as a serious theory, but it is a theory that I've seen raised by those that don't fully understand how statistics work and who therefore believe that it is not possible for three events which are so similar to happen without any external assistance...

I'll go put a rolls eyes face on it to make it more clear I wasn't being serious...
Old 11-13-2013, 03:52 AM   #18 (permalink)
The PRC.

Given the number of meteors recently, I blame them.