View Single Post
Old 07-03-2008, 08:25 PM   #102 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
Does anyone have suggestions for installing my new volt-meter?

It is an analog needle design. I assume that it will use a very small amount of current to move the needle with electromagnatism.

I am planning on just hooking it up to one of the four batteries, as it is designed for 12-volt use.

Should I have some sort of "momentary-on" switch for it, so it only pulls power just when I need it, or will it take so little power that it doesn't matter at all? I just don't want my batteries getting out of balance. I would imagine it takes a miniscule amount of power, but want to make sure I am doing things right here.

I also realized that I will not be able to hook it up with the standard negative to the frame. I am measuring main pack voltage, something I DON'T want going through the frame of the cycle. I will need to use two wires, going directly to the one battery I want to measure.

My existing wire harness is totally home-brew (and looks it) but uses TWO wires for each device, thus totally seperating the power from the frame.

I am thinking about re-doing the wire harness, now that I know what wires I need going where. I think now, there isn't any good reason not to use the frame as the negative. This will eliminate half the wires in that's rats nest. Also, it will be a good opportunity to make sure I actually have fuses on everything....

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos