View Single Post
Old 07-06-2008, 12:52 AM   #13 (permalink)
RH77
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjts1 View Post
Oh really now?
Still, I say, "Rubbish"

Has Mr. Clarkson praised his Mum's Honda Jazz/Fit for it's funtionality, handling, or convenience? No -- only that it goes 340 miles between fill ups before the Audi mileage challenge.

The BMW 330d -- if it was slow and gave off the fewest emissions in it's class while pampering his English ego, would he have given it high marks? No.

Power. Speed. TV appeal.

That's all that he (and his producers) are interested in. Whether it's an oil burner or a mock hypermiling experiment, it draws the attention of the viewer. The Buggati Veyron seems to gain quite the attention -- as does the Koenigsegg CCX. How about the Porsche 911 GT3 RS? All leaders in FE, I'm sure.

Don't be fooled. We subcribe to auto mags and fixate upon the tellie to be dazzled by Lamborghini Gallardos -- not Chevy Cobalts. Even if the Lambo was powered by children's tears it would be praised.

In the essence of full disclosure -- Top Gear is one of my favorite programs. It's a clever show, the format is entertaining, and the vehicles are unique and often not available in the U.S.

I've just seen it enough to know Clarkson's position on low-BHP conveyances.

RH77

_
_