View Single Post
Old 07-08-2008, 01:16 AM   #22 (permalink)
RH77
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Darn -- Physics got me again. (Biology/Neuroscience Major -- minimal Phys.)

Clarify this, however...

The combined effect of two vehicles at this speed (35 MPH) will absorb the impact, but at what cost? The analogy of 70 mph into a wall may be erroneous, but think of the result of the two vehicles at 35...

I would imagine that kind of situation would result in an offset collision with cabin intrusion, potentially pinnnig both drivers and rendering secondary impact consequences to vital organs.

I can see the impact absorbtion and "springiness" of modern vehicles -- but an identical vehicle rarely impacts the same one. One will generally prevail, and it isn't all about mass (speaking directly to truck and SUV safety fanatics).

With respect to vehicle collision mechanics, I've seen the result of a variety of combinations first hand -- in addition to training videos as a Medic. The worst I've seen (aside from two semis head-on) was a semi-offset collision of a Jeep Wranger vs. a mid-sized sedan. The Jeep driver didn't make it (lack of the aforementioned crumple zones). Mostly I saw single-car idiocracy into trees, rollovers, and mostly DUI nonsense that often resulted in a critical situations followed by death. I don't agree with "scare tactics", but the facts remain.

It's all about odds. I could drive a full-sized truck and have a "Physical advantage", but I choose a compact hatchback for obvious reasons and accident avoidance.

But yeah, I stand corrected on the impact forces I stated earlier...

RH77

_
_