Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2008, 07:16 PM   #21 (permalink)
EV OR DIESEL

FarFarfrumpumpen - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS Premium

Quorra - '12 Tesla Model S P85
Send a message via AIM to dremd
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH77 View Post
How often is this going to happen in a collision? That's 2 vehicles, each traveling 17.5 mph, in an offset collision, or one traveling slowly and hitting a stationary object.

Two vehicles hitting offset at 35 mph = 70 mph combined force. The odds of surviving a collision of this magnitude, in any vehicle, is slim.

RH77
That's what I thought as well, however this week on car talk a phyisist called in and corrected us both.

if 2 cars of the same mass are traveling together at 35 mph each, each car wil experiance the same crash force as if they hit a SOLID concrete wall at 35 MPH.

Think about it, there is 70 mph worth of momentum, but it is divided equally between the 2 vehicles. Now if you change mass, the heavier car will push the smaller car backwards making its impact worse, but most likely not 70 mph bad.

Sorry to grave digg, but this thread was liked from the current safety thread http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...trap-3507.html

Gone 2013 Nissan LEAF SV
2012 Nissan LEAF SV
6 speed ALH TDI Swapped in to a 2003 Jetta Wagon
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-08-2008, 01:16 AM   #22 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Darn -- Physics got me again. (Biology/Neuroscience Major -- minimal Phys.)

Clarify this, however...

The combined effect of two vehicles at this speed (35 MPH) will absorb the impact, but at what cost? The analogy of 70 mph into a wall may be erroneous, but think of the result of the two vehicles at 35...

I would imagine that kind of situation would result in an offset collision with cabin intrusion, potentially pinnnig both drivers and rendering secondary impact consequences to vital organs.

I can see the impact absorbtion and "springiness" of modern vehicles -- but an identical vehicle rarely impacts the same one. One will generally prevail, and it isn't all about mass (speaking directly to truck and SUV safety fanatics).

With respect to vehicle collision mechanics, I've seen the result of a variety of combinations first hand -- in addition to training videos as a Medic. The worst I've seen (aside from two semis head-on) was a semi-offset collision of a Jeep Wranger vs. a mid-sized sedan. The Jeep driver didn't make it (lack of the aforementioned crumple zones). Mostly I saw single-car idiocracy into trees, rollovers, and mostly DUI nonsense that often resulted in a critical situations followed by death. I don't agree with "scare tactics", but the facts remain.

It's all about odds. I could drive a full-sized truck and have a "Physical advantage", but I choose a compact hatchback for obvious reasons and accident avoidance.

But yeah, I stand corrected on the impact forces I stated earlier...

RH77

_
_
Old 07-08-2008, 04:38 AM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Formula - '96 Firebird Formula/Trans-Am
90 day: 19.31 mpg (US)

Lets see how far it can go

"All I know about music is that not many people ever really hear it. [...] But the man who creates the music is hearing something else, is dealing with the roar rising from the void and imposing order on it as it hits the air. What is evoked in him, then, is of another order, more terrible because it has no words, and triumphant, too, for the same reason. And his triumph, when he triumphs, is ours." -Sonny's Blues
Old 11-15-2009, 09:49 AM   #24 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by texanidiot25 View Post
I would have liked to see the results if the two vehicles traded places in this test.
The SUV has the entire front end, the frame, as well as the engine which collapses in the crash. The Civic just has the thin door between the SUV and its' passengers as protection.
I think the SUV occupants would have fared much worse had the Civic slammed into the side of their vehicle.
The Civic sits low and might not have made contact with the frame of the SUV. The Civic no doubt would have crushed like a tin can, but I still think the SUV passenger would have died.
Side impacts are bad no matter what you are diving.

Even a semi driver is in a bad position in a side impact ( the fuel tanks are just below the door ! )

What happened to the links on page one ? They are all dead.
Old 11-15-2009, 10:36 AM   #25 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
fifth gear hired a racoon?