View Single Post
Old 07-09-2008, 12:39 AM   #20 (permalink)
RH77
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Cutlass Blown, K2500 Overheated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
I do know that Seafoam does clean a gunked up engine and regularly using it keeps it clean, however, dump some of that into an unmaintained engine and there is the chance of carbon deposits getting lodged into the valve seats and burn it up.
Very true. Down in Akron, my folks loaned a relative their '93 K2500 / 350. LSS, she overheated it and limped it back home (yes, after throwing a rod in my Dad's mint 1988 Cutlass -- oil light was on -- checked the tranny fluid by accident -- ran it out of oil). Family tension mounts.

Anyways, the truck was salvaged (maintained well up to that point). My Step-Dad put in a new rad, but it wouldn't turn over, even with a new batt. Thought it was toast. He doesn't wrench much, so I recommended dumping Seafoam into the cylinders and letting it set a day or so while other repairs were going on: change the oil, etc. The next day -- fired right up! It lives! The Farm Truck returned to the farm where it belongs. 200K miles and still hauling.

We'll see how long it lasts.

Now, for the Olds. Dad bought it new. 80K original miles on a 1988! The interior looks like the model year brochure. It runs, but the rod's clearly thrown. It's the last RWD Cutlass, before they intro'd the FWD model that year.

It has that (IMO) pathetic 140 hp, 307-CID V-8, but it's "original" so he's upset (a true car guy). What's a cheap alternative? We've looked at Jasper, crate engines, etc -- all really worth more than the car itself. It would make affordable transpo if repaired (except for the FE). It just sits (2 years now).

RH77

_
_