Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2008, 08:17 AM   #11 (permalink)
Here, there, everywhere

regor's civic - '08 honda civic lx
90 day: 39.95 mpg (US)
Maybe you can contact the firm and see if they are interested in creating a group buy for us. I just think the high shipping fee is too much.

And a 1907 Baldwin Steam Locomotive (Really)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-25-2008, 01:20 PM   #12 (permalink)
ALS
EcoModding Apprentice

I've been using Fuel Power 60 and it's replacement FP-3000 from Lube Control for a few years with good results.
I found that I had forgot to add it on my last two tanks and I saw my fuel mileage drop. The first one was slight and the second one jumped way out in front of me when I saw my fuel mileage on that tank. I didn't forget to add it when I filled up yesterday. I'll see what this tanks mileage is in a few weeks when I fill up again. From what I can tell I lost between .75 and 1.25 mpg in those two tanks.
Another product I have had great results with is Auto-Rx.
I used it in my 97 Volvo 960 at 70K miles and saw a jump between one and one and a half mpg. It is an engine cleaner you dump in your oil and drive for 2,500 to 3,000 miles. I use 3oz as a maintenance dose in my DD a 87 Volvo 740 turbo and the valve train and the camshaft is spotless.
Other than those two I haven't seen any product that really does what it says. Two others that seem to have had good reviews are Seafoam and Marvel Mystery Oil. Personally I have never used them so no input on those two.
Old 06-25-2008, 02:09 PM   #13 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by regor View Post
Maybe you can contact the firm and see if they are interested in creating a group buy for us. I just think the high shipping fee is too much.
Better yet -- free empirical testing! I'm sure someone here would take a free one for the sake of Science -- right guys!

*Disclaimer -- yeah, um... I haven't really tested SeaFoam in any form I guess the smoke means it's working! It did eliminate valve clatter after a couple treatments, which is some data. Otherwise, the butt-dyno hasn't noticed anything...

RH77

_
_
Old 06-25-2008, 10:05 PM   #14 (permalink)
Hi-Tech Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Johnny Mullet Send a message via MSN to Johnny Mullet
I use no additives at all. I don't believe in them to tell you the truth. I truly believe fuel system cleaners or injector cleaner added to fuel does nothing but shorten the fuel pump life. Gasoline itself is not only a flammable liquid, but it also cleans.

If you have to add additives to your oil, then you must be using the wrong oil. I simply change my oil every 5000 miles and use the lightest recommended grade of non-synthetic oil.

It all comes down to what the manufacturer recommends and there is an interesting book in the glovebox called an "Owners Manual" that everyone should read. If you don't have one, get one! That manual says nothing about adding poop.

Now there are 2 small things....................

SeaFoam - Great for cleaning a gunked up engine, but not as an additive.
Marvel Mystery Oil - I dunno because it's so mysterious.

GeoMetroforum.com - got mpg?
Old 06-26-2008, 10:45 AM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The Hulk - '96 Ford Aspire Base
90 day: 51.64 mpg (US)

Black Hole - '06 Kia Rio LX
90 day: 39.16 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to steensn
I use Sea Foam to clean out the engine, hecka lotta smoke... crazy! Didn't do any A/B good tank test yet, but as overall maint. it does knock out a lot of gunk that can build up.

2006 Kia Rio

1996 Ford Aspire
Old 06-29-2008, 06:31 PM   #16 (permalink)
Renaissance Man

Aegean C - '17 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 39.61 mpg (US)
Seafoam via a vacuum line is always good for a nice smoke show.

Old 07-07-2008, 10:16 AM   #17 (permalink)
Window Tinting Pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
SeaFoam - Great for cleaning a gunked up engine, but not as an additive.
Marvel Mystery Oil - I dunno because it's so mysterious.
Seafoam does NOT belong in the crankcase. It's pale oil, lighter fluid, and rubbing alcohol and does not have the proper cleaning ability or lubricating ability to be in the engine.

I am a huge fan of Auto-Rx Engine Cleaner and FP60 by Lube Control

I've been successfully using them for years. Nothing has improved my mpg better than those two products on the nearly a dozen or so cars I've used it on.
The Following User Says Thank You to darkdan For This Useful Post:
WesternStarSCR (12-02-2012)
Old 07-08-2008, 10:35 PM   #18 (permalink)
Recycling Nazi

Blue Bullet - '06 Honda Civic Sedan LX
90 day: 35.68 mpg (US)
Arrow

Yes darkdan, I am pained by the excellent, although undeserved, reputation SeaFoam has. Your description sounds about right ... rather unremarkable ingredients that might have slight (but probably insignificant) benefits as a fuel additive ... but is NOT to be used in the crankcase as many do.

Regardless, the stuff is overpriced and should be passed up.

Johnny, far be it from me to question The Mullet, but I believe a good, pour-in cleaner used 1-2 times per year is an excellent practice. There's simply too much bad gas out there and I've seen the good cleaners like Red Line Oil SI-1 fix a stumbling engine with less than 1/2 of a bottle used.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:00 PM   #19 (permalink)
Hi-Tech Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Johnny Mullet Send a message via MSN to Johnny Mullet
If there was a miracle mystery juice that restores an unmaintained engine back to new, then everyone would have over a million miles on their cars. How do you think our company maintains a fleet of trucks with over a million miles on them? With "miracle juice"? No, but with regular maintenance.

I tear down engines all the time and can tell if it has regular maint done just by looking inside. I maintain my crap and never had an engine fail on me. Now, I do know that Seafoam does clean a gunked up engine and regularly using it keeps it clean, however, dump some of that into an unmaintained engine and there is the chance of carbon deposits getting lodged into the valve seats and burn it up.

GeoMetroforum.com - got mpg?
Old 07-09-2008, 12:39 AM   #20 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Cutlass Blown, K2500 Overheated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
I do know that Seafoam does clean a gunked up engine and regularly using it keeps it clean, however, dump some of that into an unmaintained engine and there is the chance of carbon deposits getting lodged into the valve seats and burn it up.
Very true. Down in Akron, my folks loaned a relative their '93 K2500 / 350. LSS, she overheated it and limped it back home (yes, after throwing a rod in my Dad's mint 1988 Cutlass -- oil light was on -- checked the tranny fluid by accident -- ran it out of oil). Family tension mounts.

Anyways, the truck was salvaged (maintained well up to that point). My Step-Dad put in a new rad, but it wouldn't turn over, even with a new batt. Thought it was toast. He doesn't wrench much, so I recommended dumping Seafoam into the cylinders and letting it set a day or so while other repairs were going on: change the oil, etc. The next day -- fired right up! It lives! The Farm Truck returned to the farm where it belongs. 200K miles and still hauling.

We'll see how long it lasts.

Now, for the Olds. Dad bought it new. 80K original miles on a 1988! The interior looks like the model year brochure. It runs, but the rod's clearly thrown. It's the last RWD Cutlass, before they intro'd the FWD model that year.

It has that (IMO) pathetic 140 hp, 307-CID V-8, but it's "original" so he's upset (a true car guy). What's a cheap alternative? We've looked at Jasper, crate engines, etc -- all really worth more than the car itself. It would make affordable transpo if repaired (except for the FE). It just sits (2 years now).

RH77

_
_
Reply  Post New Thread