View Single Post
Old 06-09-2014, 08:24 AM   #47 (permalink)
MetroMPG
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 60.16 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,957 Times in 3,602 Posts
Thanks again Jeff & SMCC!

Another fun & very challenging event! MANY thanks to Jeff and his SMCC checkpoint guys for hosting/organizing again.

This was a good EcoModder turnout!
  • Mike (blownb310) made the journey in his Fit EV (and let people try it out after the event)
  • Will (wonderboy) brought his 2001 Honda Insight, which he then loaned to nerdboy to drive in the event
  • Denis (HyperMileQC) arrived in his modified 2000 Insight (getting amazing numbers along the way) to navigate for...
  • Francis (Echo-Francis) in his extensively ecomodified 2005 Toyota Echo
  • Mauricio (CigaR007) competed for the first time in his 2001 Toyota Echo (lowered & looking good on lightweight Miata wheels) which is known for its pro-quality DIY grille block. (Great to finally meet you - your grille block was inspiration for my Insight's grille blocks.)
  • Captain Rusty (good to meet you too) came with his two little ones in his Honda Fit and deserves our thanks for volunteering to do one of the rally checkpoints.
We can be proud of Francis & Denis for a very impressive performance in Francis' modified Echo. Felicitations!

--

I didn't want to show my hand before the event, but was driving a borrowed base model 2014 Mirage 5-speed, with a handful of aero mods on it:

See: http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...cyl-29176.html

It turned in a decent result on this demanding course: ~3.98 L/100 km / ~59 mpg US, which is about what I was expecting. (For comparison, my Insight did 3.1 LHK / 76 mpg in the 2012 event.)

Unfortunately, we had a wee navigation mistake in the first section that flushed our chances (big time penalty). Otherwise we might have nabbed 3rd place in the corrected standings. (Also unfortunately, the car is still wearing its squishy-squirmy winter tires (I had no say in the matter)! They don't feel very LRR at all.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:
HyperMileQC (06-09-2014)