View Single Post
Old 06-09-2014, 11:41 AM   #22 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by niky View Post
I've always viewed projects like this as huge corporate vanity projects. Like the Veyron, or the Phaeton. Build the car because we can build it... not because it makes sense, or because we want to sell it, or because we can use it as a research platform... we build it just to show the world that the Volkswagen Group is so rich, successful and powerful, it can basically burn money for the hell of it.
I just look at it as research with a PR focus, like racing. It's one thing to know you have the resources and knowledge to build such a car and another to actually do it so that the public, the critics, and investors can see it and react to it. Those reactions from the press, potential buyers, investors, and even within the company itself are probably quite useful to the company. And it is PR, like claiming they have the "best safety ratings" or some other "best in class" claim. They can advert with it. Makes them look "green" and "advanced". But I would imagine they developed some useful knowledge, and maybe specific parts they can deploy in more common vehicles.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.