Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2014, 10:42 AM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I've always viewed projects like this as huge corporate vanity projects. Like the Veyron, or the Phaeton. Build the car because we can build it... not because it makes sense, or because we want to sell it, or because we can use it as a research platform... we build it just to show the world that the Volkswagen Group is so rich, successful and powerful, it can basically burn money for the hell of it.

The Following User Says Thank You to niky For This Useful Post:
UltArc (06-09-2014)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-09-2014, 11:41 AM   #22 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by niky View Post
I've always viewed projects like this as huge corporate vanity projects. Like the Veyron, or the Phaeton. Build the car because we can build it... not because it makes sense, or because we want to sell it, or because we can use it as a research platform... we build it just to show the world that the Volkswagen Group is so rich, successful and powerful, it can basically burn money for the hell of it.
I just look at it as research with a PR focus, like racing. It's one thing to know you have the resources and knowledge to build such a car and another to actually do it so that the public, the critics, and investors can see it and react to it. Those reactions from the press, potential buyers, investors, and even within the company itself are probably quite useful to the company. And it is PR, like claiming they have the "best safety ratings" or some other "best in class" claim. They can advert with it. Makes them look "green" and "advanced". But I would imagine they developed some useful knowledge, and maybe specific parts they can deploy in more common vehicles.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 06-09-2014, 12:21 PM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
I agree that the VW XL1 is a halo car, and it will have trickle down benefits. We've already heard about a transplant of the XL1 drivetrain into the Up!.

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
Old 06-09-2014, 12:43 PM   #24 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by niky View Post
I thanked just because you brought up the Phaeton. Although, I interpreted that as a legitimate attempt at a 7 series equivalent- something they wanted to keep on the market actually take some market share. I loved it, but there are some negatives to it.

On topic, everyone seems right on. When that new Up! is out, and they start showing commercials with the two of them- it will put that image in peoples head about how efficient it is. I would have first guessed it was an exercise in their future technology, but making a car like this doesn't really help bring down the costs of it in the future. Normally it seems like that is the general plan.

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
Reply  Post New Thread