View Single Post
Old 06-19-2014, 09:31 PM   #129 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlvs2run View Post
How did you discover the head gasket was bad, and what do you think was the cause?

I just had the timing belt & water pump changed, and had asked them to do a head gasket test. They wouldn't do it because, (1) they'd have to get a kit, and (2) there weren't any signs (but they'd not looked at that point). I've not lost any coolant so hopefully all is well, but wish I'd done the leaktest myself.
There is a little oil coming from the seal around that bolt that goes into the valve cover between the spark plugs. Just enough to glisten, but it's there. And I seem to go through oil faster. No coolant in the oil, thanks god. I don't loose much coolant, but there is a leak in the seal around the thermostat housing.

I don't know the cause, but it is the original gasket, with 218,000 US miles on it over 16 years.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
aerohead (08-23-2014)