View Single Post
Old 07-06-2014, 11:19 PM   #139 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Undertray progress

After replacing (1) the oil drain plug washer I suspected of leaking when hot, (2) valve cover grommets that I could see leaked when hot, and (3) a leaking coolant seal on the engine block, I now have noticeably less fluid dripping from the engine bay. I still need to investigate the distributor seal and the oil pan seal. But I couldn't wait any longer and so I started the planned undertray at the diffuser end.

Step one is a little Cardboard Aided Design. I put the car on blocks and crawled under with big sections of cardboard I have saved. Rear diffuser template:

At the bottom of the pic is the little tongue that will bolt into existing bolt holes on the rear suspension (non moving parts) and the cuts to accommodate the tires and moving suspension parts. The top of the picture will be the rear bumper, but I have not shaped that part yet so it's still just square.

You can also see three of the four aluminum rails I'll use for the frame when the time comes.

I spent some time remaking my side skirts today, adding drill points and replacing screws that had come out somewhere on the road. I have learned how important it is to use the right hardware for attachments like this, for safety and for the sake of only doing the job once.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	140706_002[1].jpg
Views:	413
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	15329  
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
aerohead (08-23-2014)