View Single Post
Old 07-10-2014, 09:21 AM   #19 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltothewolf View Post
Also, calicivic, if you don't mind, can you compile a list of everything that could be leaking on the tranny? I'm just gonna replace them all at once so another doesn't start leaking in a year.

Also, I have officially gone through 1qt of oil since I bought the car. It doesn't burn oil mind you, it leaks oil. Also I changed the distributor gasket and had a timing belt job done so I'm sure that took like 1/5-1/4 a quart but Yea.

Ok guys, another thing, what all could potentially leak oil on a car? From my very limited knowledge the oil pan, head gasket, oil drain bolt(which is leaking), camshaft, rear main seal, distributor gasket and valve cover gasket right? What else is there?
The list is pretty short:
Input Shaft Seal (tranny must come off).
Driver side drive shaft seal
Passenger side drive shaft seal
Shifter linkage seal
Tranny oil drain plug
Tranny oil fill plug

Oil, of course can flow around the engine parts and the block, however, so be very sure that the leak is coming from the transmission by eliminating other possibilities, other seals, elsewhere on the engine that might leak oil that eventually drips off the bottom of the block or transmission. Distributor seal? Oil filter seal? ...I'm in that process right now.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.