Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2014, 02:31 AM   #11 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltothewolf View Post
Read this in another thread, it does seem it will work.

Any '92 - '00 D-series transmission will work (this includes all '92 - '00 civics and Del Sols, except the '99 - '00 Civic Si, and the '94 - '97 Del Sol VTEC)
Lots of people have bolted 1992-1995 trannys onto 1996-00 engines. It is an identical part. I did it 16 months ago on this my daily driver, put a 1993 CX trans on my 1998 DX engine. It really could not be simpler. Look at my chart that Daox linked above. I promise. I checked all details against the factory service manuals and/or multiple other sources. If you can find errors, let me know and I'll edit the tables.

Quote:
Also guys, I noticed while driving around (about 95F temp outside) that my coolant was between 201-207F, is this normal? Just making sure.
I see those temps sometimes too. My rad fan will come on occasionally in the low 200 range and bring it back down to 194. I have even seen 217 spikes when I cut the engine (and therefore the fan) at the end of a long hard climbs.

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-09-2014, 03:14 AM   #12 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
Lots of people have bolted 1992-1995 trannys onto 1996-00 engines. It is an identical part. I did it 16 months ago on this my daily driver, put a 1993 CX trans on my 1998 DX engine. It really could not be simpler. Look at my chart that Daox linked above. I promise. I checked all details against the factory service manuals and/or multiple other sources. If you can find errors, let me know and I'll edit the tables.

I see those temps sometimes too. My rad fan will come on occasionally in the low 200 range and bring it back down to 194. I have even seen 217 spikes when I cut the engine (and therefore the fan) at the end of a long hard climbs.
It never goes below 200F. At least I haven't seen it go that low in the daytime. And thanks, so what are the best trannys I can get? 92-95 CX or 96-00 VX right?

Old 07-09-2014, 03:33 AM   #13 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
It never goes below 200F. At least I haven't seen it go that low in the daytime. And thanks, so what are the best trannys I can get? 92-95 CX or 96-00 VX right?
There was no 96-00 VX; you own it's successor, the 96-00 HX. But your gearing is not as tall as the VX's was. The 1992-1995 Vx and the 1992-1995 CX had the exact same gearing. Look for one of those.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 07-09-2014, 03:40 AM   #14 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Quote:
There was no 96-00 VX; you own it's successor, the 96-00 HX. But your gearing is not as tall as the VX's was. The 1992-1995 Vx and the 1992-1995 CX had the exact same gearing. Look for one of those.
Ohhhh ok thanks

Old 07-09-2014, 07:50 AM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
I did some checking and it looks like, from the information I could glean from the internet, that Honda uses a sensor in the distributor to accomplish what Nissan did with the flywheel ring gear sensor. If that is the case then the transmissions would be interchangeable without 0BD2 issues.

Sorry for the misinformation. Also Calcivic has spent a lot of time on this subject in his pursuit of mileage. I think his knowledge trumps my own being more Honda specific compared to mine which was Nissan speciifc.

Also his post about the shift shaft seal is spot on above and beyond my own.

The part I posted about putting your ear on the shifter to listen for imput shaft bearing noise is still relevant. I used to test for tranny bearing noises by getting the car up to about 30 MPH, turning the engine off with the clutch disengaged and downshifting as the car slowed down, which would make the transmission bearing noises much more obvious. This assumes the tranny is in a functional car, which is not the case with many used transmissions and one should always be aware of "used" transmissions and the reason they were removed in the first place.

Personally I have always felt that the "if it ain't broke, don't "fix" it, as that can, in many cases, turn into much more work than was originally anticipated.

regards
Mech

Last edited by user removed; 07-09-2014 at 09:33 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to user removed For This Useful Post:
California98Civic (07-09-2014)
Old 07-09-2014, 09:05 AM   #16 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
... Personally I have always felt that the "if it ain't broke, don't "fix" it, as the can, in many cases, turn into much more work than was originally anticipated....
Yes! Totally agree. "Test, don't guess" so that you don't "fix" (and waste $$) on what ain't broken.

Last edited by California98Civic; 07-10-2014 at 11:36 AM.. Reason: "on" not "and"
The Following User Says Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
user removed (07-09-2014)
Old 07-09-2014, 10:47 AM   #17 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

I completely agree with the 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' as I have learned this lesson the very hard way recently... I'm just worried about this tranny leak as I drive 38 miles a day, 8 miles of which is a pretty steep uphill then I have to take a 2 mile stretch of 6% grade, so if it does get low because of the leak, it could leave me stranded and make me lose a day of work, which is an immediate 78$ loss (I only make 9.75 sue me). That's why I need to make sure this is fixed, the proper way before I sell the Corolla.

Old 07-10-2014, 02:41 AM   #18 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Also, calicivic, if you don't mind, can you compile a list of everything that could be leaking on the tranny? I'm just gonna replace them all at once so another doesn't start leaking in a year.

Also, I have officially gone through 1qt of oil since I bought the car. It doesn't burn oil mind you, it leaks oil. Also I changed the distributor gasket and had a timing belt job done so I'm sure that took like 1/5-1/4 a quart but Yea.

Ok guys, another thing, what all could potentially leak oil on a car? From my very limited knowledge the oil pan, head gasket, oil drain bolt(which is leaking), camshaft, rear main seal, distributor gasket and valve cover gasket right? What else is there?

Last edited by Baltothewolf; 07-10-2014 at 05:39 AM..
Old 07-10-2014, 09:21 AM   #19 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
Also, calicivic, if you don't mind, can you compile a list of everything that could be leaking on the tranny? I'm just gonna replace them all at once so another doesn't start leaking in a year.

Also, I have officially gone through 1qt of oil since I bought the car. It doesn't burn oil mind you, it leaks oil. Also I changed the distributor gasket and had a timing belt job done so I'm sure that took like 1/5-1/4 a quart but Yea.

Ok guys, another thing, what all could potentially leak oil on a car? From my very limited knowledge the oil pan, head gasket, oil drain bolt(which is leaking), camshaft, rear main seal, distributor gasket and valve cover gasket right? What else is there?
The list is pretty short:
Input Shaft Seal (tranny must come off).
Driver side drive shaft seal
Passenger side drive shaft seal
Shifter linkage seal
Tranny oil drain plug
Tranny oil fill plug

Oil, of course can flow around the engine parts and the block, however, so be very sure that the leak is coming from the transmission by eliminating other possibilities, other seals, elsewhere on the engine that might leak oil that eventually drips off the bottom of the block or transmission. Distributor seal? Oil filter seal? ...I'm in that process right now.

Old 07-10-2014, 01:48 PM   #20 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Quote:
The list is pretty short:
Input Shaft Seal (tranny must come off).
Driver side drive shaft seal
Passenger side drive shaft seal
Shifter linkage seal
Tranny oil drain plug
Tranny oil fill plug

Oil, of course can flow around the engine parts and the block, however, so be very sure that the leak is coming from the transmission by eliminating other possibilities, other seals, elsewhere on the engine that might leak oil that eventually drips off the bottom of the block or transmission. Distributor seal? Oil filter seal? ...I'm in that process right now.
I'm not very confident that my tranny is leaking... I took the fill plug off and it's still full of fluid... And I looked and I can't find a single leak on the entire tranny. The main oil leak is right under the distributor, I already replaced the distributor gasket so it isn't that, it's right under that is where it's leaking..

Reply  Post New Thread