View Single Post
Old 07-26-2014, 03:51 AM   #64 (permalink)
Ecky
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,554 Posts
New record trip!

I'm in Orlando for the weekend, and driving across town this evening I averaged 90.9mpg over 20 miles of city driving with a mostly cold start. Tallahassee's hills and congestion have thus far prevented me from getting these kinds of numbers, but traffic was light (or rather there was none, just some scattered cars) and I was able to time most of the lights. Had I been shooting for maximum mpg from the start, I think I could've broken 100. No P&G was used, I just putted along at around 37mph in lean burn.

Edit: Duplicated that mileage again in daylight, 88.5 over 24 miles in midday traffic. Generally speaking, I have to very careful and there's still a luck component to get into the 70's in Tallahassee.

In the Del Sol hills are no impediment to "decent" mileage, especially if I used EoC, but they prevent staying in lean burn in the Insight.

Just thinking aloud, but I suspect the differences in mileage attainable are proportionally very different in these two cars mostly because of smaller parasitic losses with the Insight. I can drive like an asshole in Toothless and get as low as 28, but careful driving without EoC will only bring me up into the high 30's, with 50ish attainable by careful EoC in level areas. The insight, on the other hand, can be driven in the lower 40's with aggressive driving (I've even read about one owner having a lifetime mileage of 37), up into the low 100's if the stars align.

Last edited by Ecky; 07-26-2014 at 12:00 PM..