View Single Post
Old 07-14-2008, 03:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
elhigh
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 29.5 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 50.48 mpg (US)
When they ask you why you're returning the items, just tell them you sold the car. Sure it's lying, but they were lying when they described the lofty benefits of their crappy products, so you're even. You're still out shipping and handling, but that can't be helped.

There are a few stores that sell ScanGauge II's, but you'll have an easier time just picking one up from eBay. It'll cost about $165-175, plus S&H.

As far as getting big mileage, you're kinda starting from behind - the Stang is really a sports coupe, and kind of a heavy one at that. Generally Mustangs are set up for stoplight speed - pulling away fast. They aren't usually set up for long-legged highway cruising. Find out what your axle ratio is, and your top gear ratio - those are good to know. Then look up your engine's power output curve. It's been my experience (I'll probably get flamed for this) that running your engine at the revs where it develops its torque peak is usually a pretty happy place to be. Just cruising around you aren't going to be generating anything like peak torque, but still.

Change your driving habits first and see what results you get. I refilled my truck this weekend and got 39.5mpg - I was so thrilled I forgot to be annoyed it wasn't 40. We'll have you looking down on 25mpg with disdain in no time.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.