View Single Post
Old 08-19-2014, 03:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCrown9701 View Post
Very nice!

How long will they stay cold? Should I keep extra in a small ice chest?
I can't say really. But it is more than 15 mins in my experience. I have not done it this summer yet. All I used was a small plastic seal ice pack maybe 4"x4"x1" or something. I move it around behind me. The key, I think is that it's against your skin with little or nothing between it and flesh (maybe your shirt). It is wicked cold at first, but in the strong heat, that's a relief. The great thing about direct contact is that you can continue to benefit from it even as the ice gets fairly melted, since anything close to your skin that is cool provides a kind of relief on the hottest days, like a cool glass of water touching the forehead. I also liked how the small brick was neat clean and portable, I just brought it inside, rinsed it, and threw it into the freezer again. I have done that at work too, for the ride back home later...
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
SilverCrown9701 (08-19-2014)