View Single Post
Old 09-17-2014, 11:38 PM   #13 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
I think if you follow all those gauges while driving you're going to crash!

I find that the most useful are engine load and rpm. I follow instant FE readout too, in order to reassure myself things are going well. I started this thread to report how the UG reports DFCO.

A further observation on that point is that the O2 will sometimes need more than 2500 RPMs to go into DFCO, and sometimes not. But generally, i have determined that it will go into DFCO quickly, though often not intantly, once the engine is warm. This explains why I had erratic fuel economy variations between pump and the UG once I started using DFCO in the spring. I was relying on the instant FE reading, and it's not accurate enough. I think the O2 reading is helping me to improve my use of DFCO, which is awesome
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.