View Single Post
Old 09-20-2014, 04:36 PM   #71 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Amazing how you managed to figure that out! [/sarcasm]

But I wish you would explain why my attitude, or the attitude of any person who's been on the receiving end of the police experience, wouldn't be anti-police?
Virtually everyone who has been driving for any number of years has experienced a traffic stop. But not everyone has the same negative attitude you do - which suggests that perhaps there is something about your demeanor that is inviting a negative interaction between you and the police.

Quote:
Or indeed, why it is that the real problem is the police attitude? If I think back on all the interactions I've had with police officers - I mean what you might call the 'social' ones, not me getting stopped/arrested or such - I can't instantly recall more that a in which the officer did not act like an overbearing, arrogant jerk.
So you are saying that EVERY time you have been stopped the officer ALWAYS acted like an overbearing, arrogant jerk? Or does it just seem that way, in that your memory focuses on the worst experiences you had?

You cannot change anyone's attitude towards you, but you can change the way in which you respond to it.
Quote:
So why should I like people who tend to act like that?
No one said you had to like it. But you do need to cope with it more effectively without becoming offended. My suggestion and advice to anyone who experiences a traffic stop is that you take on the calm and polite but firm demeanor of a lawyer. For all the cop knows, you may actually BE a lawyer - but only if you act like one. If there is anything objectionable about the cop's treatment of you, immediately take a pen and paper and begin recording the cop's name, badge number, and take notes about everything as it transpires. You have a legal right to do so. Cops may dislike it, but they do respect (and even fear) anyone who is capable of preparing and building a case.

Old Mech gave similar advice in post #23:
Quote:
dave, your post indicates you have said considerably more than "a word". Even though a law officer can shoot you dead on the spot, I don't fear them. I do respect them until they give me reason to not respect them, which I keep to myself and save for the judge. A cop can't convict me of anything.

Look them straight in the eye, without malice, and speak truthfully. After that the situation is totally in their control and they can make that a two hour ordeal with dope sniffing dogs and a detailed inspection of everything in your car, down to the pot seed that was left there two owners ago.