View Single Post
Old 11-02-2014, 11:36 AM   #136 (permalink)
Ecky
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmeat View Post
Jeez you got a lot done! Wasn't it cold and crazy windy there?

I started to install the throttle smoothing circuit on Turtle yesterday morning but it was like 50 degrees with about a hundred mile an hour wind blowing dust and leaves on me the whole time, so I gave up and did the inside project of cutting in 8 recessed LED can lights in the kitchen. I'm also replacing every halogen in all my other can lights with LEDs today!

How do you like those brake lights? In the pic with the brakes on it looks super bright compared to the one on the right. Is it really that noticeable, cause they look really sharp in the pics?
It's not too bad here, or I'm not as affected by the cold as others. Not sure. It was in the upper 30's at night and breezy while I was working, but a warm mug of tea made it quite pleasnt.

I do really like how the LED brake lights look, and would replace every bulb on the car if they were cheaper. The interior light I've replaced is worlds better too.

Throttle smoothing circuit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltothewolf View Post
When going LED on the brake lights, did you have to install any resistors or anything else special? I was thinking of converting my insight to LED brake and HID headlights, the turn signals are too much trouble.

Also, when you find the proper HID's please let me know.
No resistors, but I did make sure to order "CK" type bulbs. I don't know if I needed them since I don't have a Canadian version of the Insight, but better safe than sorry. SuperBrightLEDs.com CK-type bulbs work properly. Also, if you're going to replace them, make sure to get red colored ones for behind the red plastic, LEDs generally aren't very broad spectrum and you'll get basically no light at all if you put white ones in.

This is the HID kit I purchased:

DDM Tuning 35W and 55W HID Kits

I can't confirm if it fits/works yet as it's not at my door, but I believe I got everything right. You'll want to select options "35w", "H4 Hi/Lo bulb", and probably 4300K color. I've read that HIDs often blueshift as they get older so starting very slightly yellow is a good idea. H4 is socket-compatible with the 9003/HB2 bulbs the Insight uses, and the hi/lo option has an electromagnet that pulls the bulb forward or back in the housing so as not to blind other drivers.

Getting the solar fan installed is more of a challenge than I expected, as I haven't figured out yet how to get to the louvered cabin-air vents. This person did a similar mod but I'm afraid if I just put a fan or two against a vent, it'll just push air out of the other vents.