Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2014, 07:08 PM   #131 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,511 Times in 1,551 Posts
New solar panel came in. It's dark outside so I'm just using a flashlight, but test results are very promising:

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-02-2014, 01:33 AM   #132 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Got some new toys.

Chrome colored plastic toggle extensions - $5
18 SMD LED brake light - $18x2
4 SMD LED cargo light - $7

I don't expect the LEDs to ever pay for themselves in fuel, but LEDs make for safer brake lights because they illuminate more quickly, giving other drivers more time to respond. Also, total electrical load does have a noticeable impact on hybrid battery life, and I'm moving from a 21w/5w bulb to a 1.4w/??w. At the very least, I'll be able to leave the lights on for a lot longer with the engine off. I'd have gone with a cheaper bulb, but there have been reports (perhaps only in Canadian models?) of non-CK type LEDs causing issues with regenerative braking.

The cargo light LED is significantly brighter than the almost useless 3w festoon it replaced. The new bulb doesn't have a wattage rating but I'd estimate it to be roughly 0.3w.

Not arrived yet is a 48 SMD LED panel for the dome light. Also finally got around to putting in a fuse between my amp and the battery. I'd been running without one in the Del Sol since I got it about 4 years ago.

To replace the brake light, you need a flathead screwdriver and either a 10mm socket or a philips screwdriver.

In this image, the LED is on the left:

In this image, I was shining a very bright flashlight at the cargo light area and choosing to focus on a spot of near constant illumination, to give a fair comparison. Note the carpet on the left side:

Calpod switch extension installed:

Also decided to upgrade my music storage for $8 (16GB > 32GB) and get rid of the huge flash drive I had poking out from my radio. It's amazing how much smaller they are these days.

Last edited by Ecky; 11-02-2014 at 09:36 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Ecky For This Useful Post:
j12piprius (11-02-2014)
Old 11-02-2014, 01:17 AM   #133 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Also just in from the mail, a 3d-printed window switch, and it looks like it came out too small:

I ordered it printed from Scupteo.com, and looking now at the specs, the default scale for the big piece is 12.2 × 5.2 × 2.5 mm. The dimensions measure correctly, but I wonder if it wasn't done in imperial units rather than metric. 1.22 inches seems like it would have been just about right for the long axis of the big piece. I asked in the thread over on InsightCentral, but if anyone here has any experience with this bit, let me know.
Old 11-02-2014, 03:36 AM   #134 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
When going LED on the brake lights, did you have to install any resistors or anything else special? I was thinking of converting my insight to LED brake and HID headlights, the turn signals are too much trouble.

Also, when you find the proper HID's please let me know.

Old 11-02-2014, 07:05 AM   #135 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Princess Carriage - '20 Ford Explorer Limited

Silver - '22 Ford Maverick Hybrid XLT w/tow pkg
Maverick Hybrids
90 day: 41.3 mpg (US)
Jeez you got a lot done! Wasn't it cold and crazy windy there?

I started to install the throttle smoothing circuit on Turtle yesterday morning but it was like 50 degrees with about a hundred mile an hour wind blowing dust and leaves on me the whole time, so I gave up and did the inside project of cutting in 8 recessed LED can lights in the kitchen. I'm also replacing every halogen in all my other can lights with LEDs today!

How do you like those brake lights? In the pic with the brakes on it looks super bright compared to the one on the right. Is it really that noticeable, cause they look really sharp in the pics?

Old 11-02-2014, 11:36 AM   #136 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmeat View Post
Jeez you got a lot done! Wasn't it cold and crazy windy there?

I started to install the throttle smoothing circuit on Turtle yesterday morning but it was like 50 degrees with about a hundred mile an hour wind blowing dust and leaves on me the whole time, so I gave up and did the inside project of cutting in 8 recessed LED can lights in the kitchen. I'm also replacing every halogen in all my other can lights with LEDs today!

How do you like those brake lights? In the pic with the brakes on it looks super bright compared to the one on the right. Is it really that noticeable, cause they look really sharp in the pics?
It's not too bad here, or I'm not as affected by the cold as others. Not sure. It was in the upper 30's at night and breezy while I was working, but a warm mug of tea made it quite pleasnt.

I do really like how the LED brake lights look, and would replace every bulb on the car if they were cheaper. The interior light I've replaced is worlds better too.

Throttle smoothing circuit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltothewolf View Post
When going LED on the brake lights, did you have to install any resistors or anything else special? I was thinking of converting my insight to LED brake and HID headlights, the turn signals are too much trouble.

Also, when you find the proper HID's please let me know.
No resistors, but I did make sure to order "CK" type bulbs. I don't know if I needed them since I don't have a Canadian version of the Insight, but better safe than sorry. SuperBrightLEDs.com CK-type bulbs work properly. Also, if you're going to replace them, make sure to get red colored ones for behind the red plastic, LEDs generally aren't very broad spectrum and you'll get basically no light at all if you put white ones in.

This is the HID kit I purchased:

DDM Tuning 35W and 55W HID Kits

I can't confirm if it fits/works yet as it's not at my door, but I believe I got everything right. You'll want to select options "35w", "H4 Hi/Lo bulb", and probably 4300K color. I've read that HIDs often blueshift as they get older so starting very slightly yellow is a good idea. H4 is socket-compatible with the 9003/HB2 bulbs the Insight uses, and the hi/lo option has an electromagnet that pulls the bulb forward or back in the housing so as not to blind other drivers.

Getting the solar fan installed is more of a challenge than I expected, as I haven't figured out yet how to get to the louvered cabin-air vents. This person did a similar mod but I'm afraid if I just put a fan or two against a vent, it'll just push air out of the other vents.
Old 11-02-2014, 12:57 PM   #137 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Next idea!

The Insight's 12v battery sits around 12.5v when the car is off, and ~12.8v when it's on. I assume this has something to do with the battery's internal resistance going up as the voltage increases, or other losses. Anyway, I'm thinking about permanently installing a small battery tender and plugging it in every night, so the DC-DC converter doesn't have to take any energy from the hybrid battery. I imagine with most of my drives, it probably wouldn't even come on before I'm at my destination if I left home with a topped off battery. Anyone have any idea how much charge I'd get overnight out of a small unit like this?

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-022-0150-DL-WH-Waterproof-Charger/dp/B000CITKCE/

Would it be safe to install permanently under the hood?

EDIT: This one looks to be able to charge faster:

http://www.amazon.com/12V-Battery-Charger-Charging-Waterproof/dp/B00IFE2FKQ/ref=sr_1_21?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1414952653&sr =1-21&keywords=waterproof+battery+tender

Last edited by Ecky; 11-02-2014 at 01:29 PM..
Old 11-02-2014, 02:32 PM   #138 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Wife is complaining about the cold, so I just ordered an OEM block heater from G1parts, part number 08T44-SV4-100. Planning on adding a plug to the front of the car for both the block heater and battery tender (which I confirmed with the manufacturer is safe to leave connected to the battery at all times). Also ordered a fumoto drain valve, and a bunch of random bits the car is missing, things like one of the bolts that holds the glove box on (???), 2 battery box bolts, several plastic clippy thingies for the belly pan, a belly pan bolt, the plastic bits that cover the screws behind the door handles, one of the 3 large screws that hold the trunk latch.

Last edited by Ecky; 11-02-2014 at 02:40 PM..
Old 11-02-2014, 02:37 PM   #139 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Next week I'm headed over to my father's to look at building and installing a hitch, inspired by this:

Honda Insight Mods

My wife and I have been debating on how best to transport our junk when we move, and this seems to be the answer. Next summer we'll be taking everything up to Vermont, and there isn't enough to justify renting a moving van. We considered renting a second car, but for the price of the rental I can get a hitch installed and tow a small trailer, and I'll have the hitch forever.

Old 11-02-2014, 03:36 PM   #140 (permalink)
Liberty Lover

pris prius - '12 Toyota plug in prius
90 day: 71.09 mpg (US)
solar fan & led lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
Getting the solar fan installed is more of a challenge than I expected, as I haven't figured out yet how to get to the louvered cabin-air vents. This person did a similar mod but I'm afraid if I just put a fan or two against a vent, it'll just push air out of the other vents.
I used a similar fan in the driver side rear window of the chevy for quite a long time. It worked quite well and I left it in there all the time, but it won't work in my civic because the windows are curved.

I'm interested to see how the lights work out for you, and wonder how the ones on Ebay would compare.

Reply  Post New Thread