View Single Post
Old 11-26-2014, 08:21 PM   #139 (permalink)
MetroMPG
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,963 Times in 3,606 Posts
Another long-ish trip: 56 mpg US / 4.2 L/100 km

I'm having fun with this car... on the highway. It's capable of great economy at moderate cruising speeds. In town, not so much!

And it's SO nice to drive!

I did a ~160 km / 100 mile highway drive today in cool but relatively calm conditions (just above freezing). Terrain was a mix of relatively flat roads along the river (on cruise control... lazy!), with occasional hills (good for pulsing up & gliding down). ~15% city, 85% quiet rural highway.

I will admit I set the cruise control at a low speed on the flats when there was nobody behind me: 70-75 km/h (47 mph). But during P&G I aimed for higher peaks (up to ~85 km/h / 53 mph).

First taste of high speed P&G

P&G'ing this car was an eye-opening experience! It's actually the first time I've really done any high speed P&G.

The Firefly/Metro is too light, low powered and high geared for it to work (takes too long to pulse, and the light weight makes for glides that are too short).

But this porker of a Civic loves to coast! A bunch of aero mods and pumped up tires sure help.

50 mpg at 50 mph average speed seems quite doable with P&G, maybe even engine-on P&G.

Next fill-up soon

There's 931 km / 579 miles on this tank, and the low fuel light just came on today (down to 1 bar left on the gas gauge). The ScanGauge says this tank is sitting at 48 mpg US. We'll see how accurate the 10% fuel offset is.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget