View Single Post
Old 11-27-2014, 03:09 PM   #85 (permalink)
vrmouseyd15b
ALL UP ON THE INTERWEB!!!

skidmark - super snail - '89 honda civic wagon WAGOVAN
Team "Old SKOOL"
90 day: 30.87 mpg (US)

Pituca - '19 Honda Insight Touring
90 day: 39.34 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
I am not sure what Honda considers the "normal" vtec motor. Maybe its the design that opens the second set of intake valves at 2500 rpms? They have had quite a few series of operations.

Here is what I was talking about with the piston upskirting oil jet.

By "normal", I meant single stage vtec! Everybody's got one of those Just kidding!!

I see what you mean for the piston lubrication now- I think the honda goes thru the block, or at least somewhere I can't see without tearing it apart futher.
It looks like the oil sump pulls into and primes the oil pump, and the pump looks like it pushes thru the manifold that rides below the oil sump and screen assembly:

the line that goes to the top end is the "Y" in the manifold that feeds the cylinders. in the second picture, you can see how it turns 90 degrees to go up to the head. in that turn, there is an access bolt (hex-looks like about 4mm). I'm going to open it there and run a hose into it to pressurize the oil jet's hole while I drill the top side of the block to accept the "oil jet" so nothing falls into the block

and then, for the top end where the "oil control jet" as Honda calls it goes. Seeing the size of the plumbing for the cylinders' lubrication (and the top end gets the same if not a bigger line), it makes sense that this jet is called the oil control jet:

without the jet, this becomes the path of least resistance in the system, and you either starve the clyinders or hydrolock the head's drains and cavitate the oil pump straight to the great big junkyard in the sky...
Better install the oil jet.

but not any time soon (maybe late tonight). just thinking and clicking around in between checking on the turkey and ham! Gluttony is on the menu tonight!!

Happy Thanksgiving, Ecomodders

Thanks,
Victor