View Single Post
Old 02-24-2015, 06:35 PM   #18 (permalink)
jimsiggy
EcoModding Lurker

Fiesta - '14 Ford Fiesta Hatch SFE Ecoboost
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 42.46 mpg (US)

Cruze - '18 Chevy Cruze LT
90 day: 50.23 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrzejM View Post
I would suggest to watch temp and your radiator fan, because it doesn't have to be that your engine temp wil rise if your fan is running full speed. But that will affect your FE anyway because of more power needed by the alternator to run the current needed.

You'll find some info here Radiator fan activation temperature
Thanks for the link. I have been watching the dash temp and SG temp and without knowing the actual thermostat rating for my car I'm guessing it is a 195F, since that is where it settles. What I have been seeing, is temps getting up to 197, then back down to 193 or so; I have determined that I am seeing the thermostat opening when the temp drops back. I am only driving about 8 miles one way and ambient temps are in the 30's or lower, so the engine is only up to 195 for a few minutes before I get to work. I may take a longer drive this weekend and then i'll have more data. Based on the link you sent I'm guessing that my fan probably does not activate until at least 210F so, so far so good.

"Chrysler products don't really work well, regardless of the oil used. I wouldn't worry about it."

Anonymous