View Single Post
Old 07-25-2008, 03:08 PM   #462 (permalink)
awillard69
EcoModding Apprentice

Dakota - '00 Dodge Dakota Club Cab, Sport
90 day: 18.57 mpg (US)

Jeep - '01 Jeep Wrangler TJ Sport
90 day: 18.46 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonman76 View Post
just take a pc board and solder some pins in the right places to make something similar.
I did that with an earlier evolution (see post #137 of this thread), and while it worked, the spacing on the Freeduino negated an "easy" solution. That's when I decided the proto shield was the better all around choice. Plus, it looks neater this way.

I'm not sure if breaking the device as you mentioned is a good choice. The LCD is the crucial part and most likely the space dictating piece; the buttons can be small. Placing the LCD and buttons is easy, but since the LCD is using 10-12 of the 16 available pins, plus 3 for the buttons that's a pretty fat (in terms of leads, not necessarily size) cable to connect to the 'duino board, which really only acts as interface to the program and inputs. That much cable may lead to interference problems, and just be impractical. Give it a try and let us know.

Sure, mine is not as small as another variation, but until the PCB version is available, small may not be in the MPGuino lexicon for the near term.

I'm not trying to be negative, if you can get it to work for you, great. Get us some pictures so that it can help others or maybe spark further ideas and evolution.