Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Instrumentation > OpenGauge / MPGuino FE computer
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2008, 02:15 PM   #461 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

4OVER4 - '85 Mitsubishi Starion ESi
90 day: 24.97 mpg (US)

Auto - '87 Mitsubishi Starion LE
90 day: 23.65 mpg (US)

Soarer - '96 Lexus SC-300
90 day: 25.27 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by awillard69 View Post
...be warned that the version of the shield that I got had a bug in that the +5v trace was not connected across the pads...
I have two of their protoshields - took me a minute to figure it out...

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-25-2008, 03:08 PM   #462 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Dakota - '00 Dodge Dakota Club Cab, Sport
90 day: 18.57 mpg (US)

Jeep - '01 Jeep Wrangler TJ Sport
90 day: 18.46 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonman76 View Post
just take a pc board and solder some pins in the right places to make something similar.
I did that with an earlier evolution (see post #137 of this thread), and while it worked, the spacing on the Freeduino negated an "easy" solution. That's when I decided the proto shield was the better all around choice. Plus, it looks neater this way.

I'm not sure if breaking the device as you mentioned is a good choice. The LCD is the crucial part and most likely the space dictating piece; the buttons can be small. Placing the LCD and buttons is easy, but since the LCD is using 10-12 of the 16 available pins, plus 3 for the buttons that's a pretty fat (in terms of leads, not necessarily size) cable to connect to the 'duino board, which really only acts as interface to the program and inputs. That much cable may lead to interference problems, and just be impractical. Give it a try and let us know.

Sure, mine is not as small as another variation, but until the PCB version is available, small may not be in the MPGuino lexicon for the near term.

I'm not trying to be negative, if you can get it to work for you, great. Get us some pictures so that it can help others or maybe spark further ideas and evolution.

Old 07-26-2008, 06:14 AM   #463 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Can this be modified to be used on a carbed engine?
Old 07-26-2008, 07:26 AM   #464 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Dakota - '00 Dodge Dakota Club Cab, Sport
90 day: 18.57 mpg (US)

Jeep - '01 Jeep Wrangler TJ Sport
90 day: 18.46 mpg (US)
Yes, but it would require some modification to the code.

But more importantly, you would need some modifications to the car, some means to determine the fuel flow. The injectors are used in an FI engine, so some sort of flow sensor would be needed.

Another is speed. You would need some means for detecting speed, a cable driven speedo wouldn't work.

Old 07-26-2008, 08:04 AM   #465 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks for the reply awillard69

I already have a electric speedometer as I have a Dakota digital dash.
I can get a flow sensor from eBay.

What sort of modifications to the code would I need please?
Old 07-26-2008, 09:04 AM   #466 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
First we have to figure out how to monitor the fuel, have a look at this thread:

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...gine-1123.html
Old 07-26-2008, 09:55 AM   #467 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

thanks for the link, I've read it the other day, I like the bike setup.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:24 PM   #468 (permalink)
Civic 4 Life

Civics Lesson - '08 Honda Civic LX
Team Honda
90 day: 40.53 mpg (US)
Hey guys, I have an 08 Civic, and I know that instantaneous MPG would really help improve my FE, but a $200 Scangauge is out of my league...so what you're doing here really really interests me! I have two main questions.

How much digging around in my car's innards would be needed to get the leads I need to access for this project? Is there splicing of wires involved? How is my warranty affected?

I don't really know much about duinos. I am interested in this being compact so it can maybe fit in this random storage place near the driver door at about 8 o'clock off the steering wheel. Would these smaller duinos work (is the second one even a real duino?)?
iDuino - Breadboardable Arduino Clone -=- Spiffie.org
Arduino Mini Board, fully assembled

Thanks everyone for all the effort! This is a great project.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:18 AM   #469 (permalink)
EcoModder

Big Salsa - '04 Toyota Sienna LE

Silver - '10 Toyota Prius III
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJSatz View Post
How much digging around in my car's innards would be needed to get the leads I need to access for this project? Is there splicing of wires involved? How is my warranty affected?

I am interested in this being compact so it can maybe fit in this random storage place near the driver door at about 8 o'clock off the steering wheel. Would these smaller duinos work (is the second one even a real duino?)?
I don't know about the Arduino Mini Board (I am sure you can get it to work, I just haven't seen schematics on it). The real driver on the thing is going to be the size of the LCD display, and the iDuino is only 0.7 inches wide, so it will EASILY hide behind the LCD. I will be putting together mine when I get the parts (already ordered). I have been looking into the schematics on my car, and it looks like I shouldn't have to splice any wires, I am going to be plugging into them as recommended in my service manual, through the exterior wire ports on the cables that connect to my ECM. That way, no splicing wires, and for those of you with an existing warranty, you can easily remove the evidence if you have the need. I will be posting up lots and lots of pictures of my project, along with lots of links to Fundamental Logic pages where you can buy different components that will save you some money if you do go the iDuino route. Another advantage of going with the iDuino over the Arduino Mini Board would be that it doesn't cost $37. I think that would be about comparable to the DuinoStamp by Fundamental Logic (I could be wrong). I kind of wanted to go the DuinoStamp route since it would save some money, but since I don't know jack about the Duinos either... I figured it was best to go the "Forum Approved" route. Hope this is helpful!
Old 07-31-2008, 12:22 AM   #470 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
Yeah, the iduino gets my vote!

Reply  Post New Thread