View Single Post
Old 06-01-2015, 12:38 AM   #32 (permalink)
BabyDiesel
Lean Burn Cruiser!

Big Blazin' - '88 Chevrolet K5 Blazer Silverado
SUV
90 day: 14.97 mpg (US)

Chili - '00 Honda Insight
Gen-1 Insights
Team Honda
House of Tudor
Team Streamliner
90 day: 72.29 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM View Post
Tire manufacturers specify a recommended rim width range for each tire size. A 185/70 R14 tire typically requires a minimum rim width of 5". In this case, 4" wheels are a liability and something I personally wouldn't consider. I can image how poor the handling must be. It's interesting that the coasting distance decreased. Thanks for sharing that info!
My loss is everyone else's gain with regards to information

The handling has decreased slightly, not enough to get in an uproar about. I can't wait to get the other wheels back on, as I rediscovered that a Honda Insight's stock wheels are 14x5.5"... and they run the skinny Potenzas

Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
I don't think you know that wheel choice is the only thing that changed, and there is a very good probability that, although the wheels are not helping city driving, other things have also changed. Imperceptible changes in your throttling, wind patterns, routes, average daily temps, humidity, the number of stoplights you hit during the tank, minutes idling, and perhaps most importantly... the possibility of a creeping mechanical issue reducing economy but not yet setting off a CEL. I have dealt with that last one kinda often this year. Grrr.

But in the end, I agree the greater wheel weight will hurt city driving fuel economy and must be a contributor here.

Sorry
As much as I hate to admit it, you are right California98Civic. There are too many variables to know exactly what is causing my mpg decrease. All I know is the coasting distance is down and tire temperatures are up. I'm glad that I do not do much city driving! Stoplights and stop signs are painful as always.

Remember, thank a fellow EM'er for a helpful post!!!
I hypermile better in my cowboy boots

Past threads:
ZX2 modding thread
Ecomodder's Top 10: How they do it!
ZX2 Aerodynamics: Shooting for 0.15 Cd
ZX2 coast-down testing for Cd & Crr