Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2015, 09:39 AM   #31 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyDiesel View Post
... and that is the only other thing that changed.

I am
I don't think you know that wheel choice is the only thing that changed, and there is a very good probability that, although the wheels are not helping city driving, other things have also changed. Imperceptible changes in your throttling, wind patterns, routes, average daily temps, humidity, the number of stoplights you hit during the tank, minutes idling, and perhaps most importantly... the possibility of a creeping mechanical issue reducing economy but not yet setting off a CEL. I have dealt with that last one kinda often this year. Grrr.

But in the end, I agree the greater wheel weight will hurt city driving fuel economy and must be a contributor here.

Sorry

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-01-2015, 12:38 AM   #32 (permalink)
Lean Burn Cruiser!

Big Blazin' - '88 Chevrolet K5 Blazer Silverado
SUV
90 day: 14.97 mpg (US)

Chili - '00 Honda Insight
Gen-1 Insights
Team Honda
House of Tudor
Team Streamliner
90 day: 72.29 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM View Post
Tire manufacturers specify a recommended rim width range for each tire size. A 185/70 R14 tire typically requires a minimum rim width of 5". In this case, 4" wheels are a liability and something I personally wouldn't consider. I can image how poor the handling must be. It's interesting that the coasting distance decreased. Thanks for sharing that info!
My loss is everyone else's gain with regards to information

The handling has decreased slightly, not enough to get in an uproar about. I can't wait to get the other wheels back on, as I rediscovered that a Honda Insight's stock wheels are 14x5.5"... and they run the skinny Potenzas

Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
I don't think you know that wheel choice is the only thing that changed, and there is a very good probability that, although the wheels are not helping city driving, other things have also changed. Imperceptible changes in your throttling, wind patterns, routes, average daily temps, humidity, the number of stoplights you hit during the tank, minutes idling, and perhaps most importantly... the possibility of a creeping mechanical issue reducing economy but not yet setting off a CEL. I have dealt with that last one kinda often this year. Grrr.

But in the end, I agree the greater wheel weight will hurt city driving fuel economy and must be a contributor here.

Sorry
As much as I hate to admit it, you are right California98Civic. There are too many variables to know exactly what is causing my mpg decrease. All I know is the coasting distance is down and tire temperatures are up. I'm glad that I do not do much city driving! Stoplights and stop signs are painful as always.

Remember, thank a fellow EM'er for a helpful post!!!
I hypermile better in my cowboy boots

Past threads:
ZX2 modding thread
Ecomodder's Top 10: How they do it!
ZX2 Aerodynamics: Shooting for 0.15 Cd
ZX2 coast-down testing for Cd & Crr
Old 06-01-2015, 12:41 AM   #33 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
My loss is everyone else's gain with regards to information

The handling has decreased slightly, not enough to get in an uproar about. I can't wait to get the other wheels back on, as I rediscovered that a Honda Insight's stock wheels are 14x5.5"... and they run the skinny Potenzas

As much as I hate to admit it, you are right California98Civic. There are too many variables to know exactly what is causing my mpg decrease. All I know is the coasting distance is down and tire temperatures are up. I'm glad that I do not do much city driving! Stoplights and stop signs are painful as always.
And I think some of the comments about the 5.5 tire on the 4.0 rim are really important. I hadn't notice that before writing to you. That sounds unsafe, tempting sidewall failure. I guess that's why the higher temps. Yikes. Glad you are removing them. Also glad you posted honestly about the difficulties. People learn that way--and not just you but others of us too.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
BabyDiesel (06-01-2015)
Old 06-01-2015, 12:51 AM   #34 (permalink)
Lean Burn Cruiser!

SUV

Gen-1 Insights
Team Honda
House of Tudor
Team Streamliner
It was worth a shot IMO. I see many people running 12.50" wide tires on 7" rims around here with no issues! 5.5" on a 4" rim didn't seem that bad in comparison.

Honesty is my policy, and I try to provide the data and reasoning for what happens in my situations. I know guest view our site quite a bit as well, so this will dissuade them from going down this path along with members.

I have to figure out what I am going to do with 4 14x4 space savers with no spare tires now...

Past threads:
ZX2 modding thread

Last edited by BabyDiesel; 06-02-2015 at 06:46 AM..
Old 06-01-2015, 02:20 AM   #35 (permalink)
herp derp Apprentice

Saturn-sold - '99 saturn sc1
Team Saturn
90 day: 28.28 mpg (US)

Yukon - '03 GMC Yukon Denali
90 day: 13.74 mpg (US)
Before you go switching back, I thought one of the reasons for the space saver wheels was making space, the offset making wheel skirts easier to do. Are the wheels set in farther with the space savers? If so, enough to effect wheel skirt design? if they are set in deeper in the fender, I think that would harm your aero if not running skirts front and rear
Old 06-02-2015, 07:57 AM   #36 (permalink)
Lean Burn Cruiser!

SUV

Gen-1 Insights
Team Honda
House of Tudor
Team Streamliner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000mc View Post
Before you go switching back, I thought one of the reasons for the space saver wheels was making space, the offset making wheel skirts easier to do. Are the wheels set in farther with the space savers? If so, enough to effect wheel skirt design? if they are set in deeper in the fender, I think that would harm your aero if not running skirts front and rear
I looked through my old pictures and the space savings are minimal. It is along the lines of 1/2" farther into the fender, if that! So the front covers can be slightly more flush than with the 14x5.5s. I'd rather have a small redesign of my skirts and less Crr!

It may also be the tires that is making the rims have little effect. With the space saver wheel & tire, the inset of the combo was much greater compared to the MX-3/185 combo and the spare/185 combo.

Here is pictures of the different wheels with the same tires:

Past threads:
ZX2 modding thread
Old 06-03-2015, 10:25 AM   #37 (permalink)
5 pin sensor

Zippy - '96 Honda Civic Hx
Team Honda
90 day: 40.77 mpg (US)

Boring - '11 Ford Fusion Sel
90 day: 21.88 mpg (US)
Mount the spare wheels backwards for the deep dish wheel look!

The side walls don't look over flexed to me, however their foot print stays the same or can even get larger on a smaller width wheel.

I would also weigh the pros and cons of duct taping cheap stuff everywhere on your car. Getting sex from females often out weights the benefit of duct tape aero mods, if I recall you are in college and you should be getting laid by now

If you're already married I say step it up and do the whole car in duct tape, kind of like a vynl wrap

My civic thread
Old 06-08-2015, 12:49 AM   #38 (permalink)
Lean Burn Cruiser!

SUV

Gen-1 Insights
Team Honda
House of Tudor
Team Streamliner
No sex for me! I'm remaining chaste until marriage and the duct tape and coroplast does a good job of keeping it that way I haven't always been this way, but it is important for me and my girlfriend/soon-to-be fiance

On with the rims: I do believe I am going to switch back to the MX3 wheels. I have until the 19th of June to return the spares to the JY and get my $60 back. The moment came when my brother ordered new 15x10s for his truck and they weighed 21 pounds! These 14x4s weight 16ish! The others were around 12! Nope, I want my lightness back. The RE92s will be just fine on them anyways since stock Insight wheels were 5.5 inches wide too. I'll post updates when it happens. Probably Wednesday.

Is there anyway to check tire footprints? Is love to compare my rims and see if there is any differences between the tire footprint.

Past threads:
ZX2 modding thread
Old 06-08-2015, 08:59 AM   #39 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Is there anyway to check tire footprints? Is love to compare my rims and see if there is any differences between the tire footprint.
Inkpad. A4 paper. Muscles.
The Following User Says Thank You to niky For This Useful Post:
BabyDiesel (06-18-2015)
Old 06-18-2015, 09:46 PM   #40 (permalink)
Lean Burn Cruiser!

SUV

Gen-1 Insights
Team Honda
House of Tudor
Team Streamliner
I'm not going to get a chance to compare footprints as the space savers went back to the junkyard where they belong today! I put my MX3 wheels back on, which are 3-4 pounds lighter and 1.5" wider. All I can say is WOW! Coasting, DWL and acceleration are all improved noticeably and my mpgs are going up.

I plan on doing a second round of coast-down testing to see if there has been any reduction in rolling drag and aero drag.

Past threads:
ZX2 modding thread
Reply  Post New Thread