View Single Post
Old 06-16-2015, 09:54 PM   #51 (permalink)
changzuki
Changfa diesel + Suzuki

Centurion - '74 FIAT X1/9 Centurion Full Race DNA
Last 3: 143.5 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhigh View Post
Just make sure the AC unit isn't demanding too clean a wave of power. Cheap inverters make do with a so-called "modified sine" output wave, which is to say it sort-of approximates clean alternating current with stepped voltages. The earliest inverters provided square wave output, which could be hell on electronics like TVs and stereos, though motors didn't mind it much.

The quality of the power shouldn't affect your AC unit too badly but it may play up your control electronics. If your AC unit is using mechanical controls, all is well. Otherwise you may need to consider other options.

That Cool Blue thing, with the inverter the manufacturer recommended, may be a better bet since they seem to have already determined the inverter choice is a good one.
Ditto!
-
I have many inverters here at 9 Main and if was to pick one that would do a good job running something small like the air conditioner mentioned, and have it survive over time, said inverter would add more weight to the car than the air conditioner would.
-
Either the pure sinewave or the modified sinewave inverters here are quite stout, mainly from the amount of copper that's inside. As a result, they tend to handle the surges mentioned quite well and the cooling fans seldom ever run.
-
Aside from making motors hum and some variable speed stuff not varying, the modified varieties make my electronics run hotter and this is measurable with an infared heat gun or by hand. A couple of the more sensitive things here will outright generate an error and are inoperable on modified sinewave.
-
Should the Aims inverter be used, I'll definitely watch the thread out of pure interest to see how well it holds up over the long haul. Technology evolves every day so it very well may be up to the task!
-
~CrazyJerry

The Following User Says Thank You to changzuki For This Useful Post:
Xist (06-16-2015)