View Single Post
Old 06-23-2015, 08:39 PM   #58 (permalink)
changzuki
Changfa diesel + Suzuki

Centurion - '74 FIAT X1/9 Centurion Full Race DNA
Last 3: 143.5 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenHornet View Post
Getting away from the AC project I have been busy working on taking out the flip up headlights along with all its components. With both lights out along with the pulley, metal brackets, hinges, and Headlight electric motor I was able to remove 40lbs of weight.

My plan is to eliminate the flip up lights and replace it with LED fixed lighting. My main reasons for this is are:

1. More complex have more parts to fail
2. More parts = more weight
3. Eliminating the flip ups creates usable space for other components
4. Less efficient uses more energy to operate
5. Less aerodynamic when operating at night

I will not be putting the lights in the current housing location. The housing areas will be glassed over and lighting relocated to the front wear a modified front bumper and grill will house them.

The LED lights will be simple 30W units that emit around 2,500 lumens. I will be using a dial dimmer to control the light output of the units.
Go Geen Hornet Go! Lol!! I am of course loving every minute of this mainly because I know what fun it is - and what can be had at the end of the rainbow!
Yes, the front flip-ups and associated pieces are a bit lofty. I think maybe yours ran into a similar issue with the electric motor trying to lift the lights and hence the pulley you mentioned.
Looking forward to more adventures as you go!!
-
~CrazyJerry