View Single Post
Old 08-13-2015, 01:56 PM   #48 (permalink)
MetroMPG
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,960 Times in 3,604 Posts
RE92 driving characteristics?

I got this private message; I want to share it in the forum since I may not have the best perspective...

Quote:
I noticed you tested Bridgestone RE92 tires and they had the best rolling resistance. I've been reading reviews on them and they are less than spectacular. Did you have these for a length of time where you can comment on thread-wear, traction, and corning? I usually take my corners pretty fast upwards of 45mph but the reviews say corning is terrible which I guess makes sense if they have the least amount of resistance. Sorry for the long message. Thanks for any info.
I drove on these for ~2 years on the Insight, and currently have some on my Firefly as well.

I didn't really pay attention to treadwear -- I drive so little that my tires typically dry rot before they're all worn out. But you can probably find info about that on Insight Central if you search.

I disagree that cornering grip is "terrible". The Insight was a decent handling car, and I rarely burned momentum needlessly by braking too much before the curves. In general I probably corner at above average speeds, but to keep my comments in context you have to understand where I'm coming from: most of my driving has been on 155/80R13's the past 10 years.

Anybody else want to chip in?
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget